Weathernoob335
Spring severe weather chatter

Ian

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...

central Anne Arundel County in central Maryland...

northeastern Prince Georges County in central Maryland...

* until 1000 PM EDT

* at 920 PM EDT... a severe thunderstorm was located over

Lanham-Seabrook... or near fedex field... moving east at 30 mph.

Hazard... 60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

Source... radar indicated.

Impact... expect wind damage to trees and powerlines.

* Locations impacted include...

Bowie... College Park... Crofton... Greenbelt... Beltsville... Bladensburg...

South River... Severn River... Sillery Bay... fedex field... Severna Park...

Odenton... Arnold... Landover... Lake Shore... parole... East Riverdale...

Kettering... New Carrollton and Mitchellville.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

This is a dangerous storm. For your protection go indoors... ideally to

an interior room on the lowest floor of your home or building.

Lat... Lon 3893 7646 3891 7646 3892 7647 3891 7647

3890 7648 3888 7649 3890 7691 3902 7692

3913 7645 3898 7646 3898 7647 3897 7647

3894 7645

time... Mot... loc 0120z 265deg 27kt 3895 7684

Hail... 1.00in

wind... 60mph

Flash Flood Warning
FLASH FLOOD WARNINGMDC031-030430-/O.NEW.KLWX.FF.W.0010.160503T0125Z-160503T0430Z//00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDFLASH FLOOD WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC925 PM EDT MON MAY 2 2016THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...  SOUTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND...* UNTIL 1230 AM EDT* AT 923 PM EDT...EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT REPORTED WATER RESCUES  ONGOING WITH CARS STALLED IN STANDING WATER IN PORTIONS OF  MONTGOMERY COUNTY. UP TO THREE INCHES OF RAIN HAVE ALREADY FALLEN.  FLASH FLOODING IS ALREADY OCCURRING.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...BE ESPECIALLY CAUTIOUS AT NIGHT WHEN IT IS HARDER TO RECOGNIZE THEDANGERS OF FLOODING.TURN AROUND...DONT DROWN WHEN ENCOUNTERING FLOODED ROADS. MOST FLOODDEATHS OCCUR IN VEHICLES.&&LAT...LON 3896 7714 3897 7715 3897 7722 3898 7723      3910 7716 3914 7698$$BJL

Dale City is a safe place to live. 9 times out of 10, the hail misses us. We only had light rain with some gusty winds for a brief time.

Most of the forcing is north and east now.

I expect a sixteenth of an inch of rain tonight and only a trace of rain tomorrow (3 to 6 drops all day long), but it will likely turn out dry tomorrow after 4am. So much for a slow moving front - the rain is moving steadily eastward and away from N VA. I love rain, but I am not going to get much more. Oncoming La Nina means a drier spring and one hell of a parched summer with brown grass. Its going to be so hot and dry in N VA this summer, that we are going to make South Central Texas look like Waterworld by Independence Day. NWS is all over this - they have already changed our rain chances for tomorrow to low pops.  Gonna dry out and warm up a lot next weekend. Break out the bbq and the beer.

Looks like DC got a ton of rain and severe weather.

Got a brief shower but watched the storm develop 2 miles to my north. It was awesome to see but I experienced NOTHING. Not any more than .05. I didnt see lightning either. The boys in the neighborhood had a LAX tourney next door until 9:30 pm.

Also...anecdotal/potentially made up feeling that we tend to do our best on days when we aren't even in a slight at times still fits. Minus our outbreak moderate days - we have had a fair amount of "get slammed" days when SPC was relatively low on probs. 

Also...anecdotal/potentially made up feeling that we tend to do our best on days when we aren't even in a slight at times still fits. Minus our outbreak moderate days - we have had a fair amount of "get slammed" days when SPC was relatively low on probs.

Agree Kenny. When things are "ripe" there is still a spoiler factor that can't be ignored. When things need to "ripen" theN sometimes it's perfect choreography that can't be predicted until it's happening. Today happened to fall in place just right. I'll never forget the noise driving down Georgia Ave. Wild stuff.

Interesting that LWX in their afternoon discussion explicitly talked down any large hail threat, and we ended up with one of the best hail days I've seen here in 20 years.     They mentioned mid-level warming evident in early afternoon ACARS profiles; I have to think that widespread ascent with the arriving trough cooled the mid-levels back down.    It's too bad that they didn't get an evening balloon launched so that we could see - I'm assuming that a storm overhead prevented it.

Archived