• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-25 PART II

snowstormcanuck

Picked up a thin dusting early this morning with the chance for some more snow showers.

Toronto's current snow total from the event: 1.0" (but only a dusting on the ground right now since it rained for 16 hours straight).

Great storm.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of model performance, I'd say that the west track models (GFS) better modelled the outcome for eastern parts of the subforum and the east track models had a better clue on what would happen out in the western part of the sub.

In terms of sensible wx...yeah. Because it was somewhat of a compromise...but the western models caved more I think. I don't think the sfc low made it even as far west as CLE.

Finally got smart! Should always send reporters to the the far western northern suburbs.

Talking about metro Detroit's western and northern suburbs, this storm really put a distance between them and the extreme south east side of town as far as season snow fall to date. Detroit's only had 20 something inches so far and there northern/western subs are around 40" or so. That's a big discrepancy in a small distance.  

Talking about metro Detroit's western and northern suburbs, this storm really put a distance between them and the extreme south east side of town as far as season snow fall to date. Detroit's only had 20 something inches so far and there northern/western subs are around 40" or so. That's a big discrepancy in a small distance.

This area is over 50" on the season while DTW is around 24". It's insane. Not even close.

In terms of sensible wx...yeah. Because it was somewhat of a compromise...but the western models caved more I think. I don't think the sfc low made it even as far west as CLE.

Really need to have my coffee before posting. Essentially a compromise yes.

In terms of sensible weather (rain/snow), I think the GFS had a better idea. Euro at one point Sunday night/Monday had a pretty big hit for Toronto/Ohio even though it was closer to being right with the low track.

No they should always send reporters where the most snow is. It's a simple concept but they just can't grasp it. Almost every time there's a storm that hits us harder down here, there's a reporter standing in Southfield or something.

The region's population center is considered the SE half of Oakland County, far northern Wayne County and Southern Macomb County, and also 2 of Detroit's 3 TV news stations are both in Southfield.

So that has a lot to do with it.

And a third reason is because, more often than not, the NW suburbs see the most snow.

The region's population center is considered the SE half of Oakland County, far northern Wayne County and Southern Macomb County, and also 2 of Detroit's 3 TV news stations are both in Southfield.

So that has a lot to do with it.

And a third reason is because, more often than not, the NW suburbs see the most snow.

I get that but I still say they should go wherever the most snow is for a given storm.

I get that but I still say they should go wherever the most snow is for a given storm.

While Downriver has had a nice run in recent winters, the instances in which you guys got the most snow from media hype-worthy storms have still been few and far between (and I'm not talking about clippers).

I do vividly recall them being Downriver for that special in March 2008 you guys got.

While Downriver has had a nice run in recent winters, the instances in which you guys got the most snow from media hype-worthy storms have still been few and far between (and I'm not talking about clippers).

I do vividly recall them being Downriver for that special in March 2008 you guys got.

That is a fair statement. Last feb 1st is a prime example though. We were jackpot and only one of the three news outlets had someone here, in brownstown.

As disgusting (but expected) as the cutoff was, thanks to the healthy deform will still finish with storm total of probably 4-5" imby and 5-6" at dtw.

That's not bad at all.

Really disgusting cut off on the NW side. Managed a 0.1" dusting this morning.

around 8-10 here, compacting and blowing made it pretty hard to get a good number.

the most interesting this was a wind turbine broke during the storm yesterday about 12 miles west of here. My guess is the weight of the snow on the blades most of put too much strain on it, never seen one break before, there have been a few that have lost single blades.

10040_Harvest2.jpg

around 8-10 here, compacting and blowing made it pretty hard to get a good number.

the most interesting this was a wind turbine broke during the storm yesterday about 12 miles west of here. My guess is the weight of the snow on the blades most of put too much strain on it, never seen one break before, there have been a few that have lost single blades.

10040_Harvest2.jpg

Damn. Scary sight. Those things things are huge. I would assume they had those turned off.

Storm total here 4.5". This is my 2nd largest snowfall of the winter, the largest being 4.9" on Nov 21st. Largest depth has been 6" in January, but have not had a 6" storm imby yet. DTW beat me both storms (6.0" & 5.2"), but the winter has been much worse just south in Toledo. Truly a south to north gradient winter in this region. Must be paying the price for all those big storms in recent years :lol:. Very pretty outside.

4583-800.jpg

4584-800.jpg

4585-800.jpg

4586-800.jpg

4587-800.jpg

Archived