Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-25 PART II

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious to know michsnowfreak, between New Years 2008 and today's storm, which one pisses you off more?

For me, at last with New Years 2008, I saw some of the heaviest snow I had ever seen for a good hour.

New Years 2008 is worse, that was modeled right up until the day of to crush the metro area only to do a two step in the 23rd hour.

New Years 2008 is worse, that was modeled right up until the day of to crush the metro area only to do a two step in the 23rd hour.

Now that I think about it some more, the choice is pretty hard for me.

New Years 2008 did have a ton of thundersnow (this system did not locally) and most of the 12-16"+ of snow fell in only a few hours.

On the other hand, today's system had blizzard conditions in the areas hit with the best snows and we got screwed yet again with another 1.50"+ QPF storm simply because temps were too warm by a degree or two.

I'm curious to know michsnowfreak, between New Years 2008 and today's storm, which one pisses you off more?

For me, at last with New Years 2008, I saw some of the heaviest snow I had ever seen for a good hour.

2008 by a MILE. Today was expected, 2008 was not. 2008 had more extreme snows NW of me than today. Also deform is likely to occur tonight, another thing unlike 2008.

BTW we picked up a fresh 0.8" in an hour with those monster flakes last hour.

NYE 2008 sucked worse than this because it was a consensus hit up until the last minute. However, it happened in a much much MUCH better winter so it was easier to forget. Honestly, if people don't bring it up I never recollect about it.

To this day, nye 2008 is the biggest screw job I have ever seen. Yet I got 78.2" of snow that winter. I probably would forget it too but my fellow SE MI crew don't let me Forget it because it was a favorite storm for so many.

Obviously that was an awesome winter, was referring to the storm only.

It's been 32 all day.

The power of evaporative cooling. 

Only flirted with 32° here a couple times today. 

Never seen it snow that long and not accumulate to speak of before. O well, places to the east and south were in a snow drought more than back up this way.

Gorgeous night up here in Lake Orion. One of the best plasterings I've ever seen. Between 8" - 10" across the northern half of Oakland county.

post-7696-0-55482200-1456375891_thumb.jp

It's crazy though, the minute you hit 16 Mile Rd, it drops off to maybe half that. On the other side of 8 Mile, maybe a quarter of that. One of the more extreme examples of the tight snowfall gradients we see around this area.

Not too terrible back in my neighborhood, around 3 to 3.5" depending on where you measure. It's kind of difficult thanks to the wet nature of the snow and compaction, under the trees there is significantly less or even no snow in some spots.

post-7696-0-80328100-1456376198_thumb.jp

Gorgeous night up here in Lake Orion. One of the best plasterings I've ever seen. Between 8" - 10" across the northern half of Oakland county.

IMAG7072.jpg

It's crazy though, the minute you hit 16 Mile Rd, it drops off to maybe half that. On the other side of 8 Mile, maybe a quarter of that. One of the more extreme examples of the tight snowfall gradients we see around this area.

Not too terrible back in my neighborhood, around 3 to 3.5" depending on where you measure. It's kind of difficult thanks to the wet nature of the snow and compaction, under the trees there is significantly less or even no snow in some spots.

IMAG7077.jpg

Thanks for the synopsis. Interesting. Pic is gorgeous though still I don't think I will ever see a plaster job equal November 21, 2015 locally.

How far are you from dtw?

Thanks for the synopsis. Interesting. Pic is gorgeous though still I don't think I will ever see a plaster job equal November 21, 2015 locally.

How far are you from dtw?

Basically due north of the east side of DTW, a couple of miles as the crow flies. Probably a 4 mile trip one way driving.

Looks like you were on the northwestern edge of the jackpot band.  Not the heaviest where you are, but you were in the mix of some of the better amounts at that latitude.  

EDIT:  Kind of reminds me of the 12/1/06 storm here.  We had about 10", with some of the heavier amounts of up to 16" just southeast.  However, just northwest of here amounts plummeted down to trace amounts after 40-50 miles.

Finally got smart! Should always send reporters to the the far western northern suburbs.

No they should always send reporters where the most snow is. It's a simple concept but they just can't grasp it. Almost every time there's a storm that hits us harder down here, there's a reporter standing in Southfield or something.

Archived