Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-25 PART II

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it's dependent on how much more QPF you see. There's at least a chance after these last spokes of showers we dry out until the column is supportive of basically just snow.

True, quite the healthy dry slot as you mentioned. Was surprised to see the temperature drop so fast, hopefully that bodes well for snow.

Has switched to mostly sleet now. About 8" down thus far. It's extremely heavy snow. Many people were stuck in my neighborhood this afternoon. Helped push two cars out. Probably 2-4" more before its all done and that's a big maybe ATP. Hoping that southern posters can cash in later.

23z mesoanalysis has a 988 near Akron, OH.

Reviewing the model performance, I think you have to give it more to the eastern camp (GEM/NAM/EURO) as opposed to the GFS/UKIE/Hi Res models. Although, that eastern camp at one point, even as recently as 36-48 hours ago, was too far east (a couple of EURO runs took the low into NW PA and then between ROC and SYR).

About 2.5" of slop followed by copious amounts heavy rain downtown Windsor. Here at home 15miles away nothing but rain. Awaiting the next round and watching the ground temps closely. At sunset 32.8°f  asphalt temps....

System ended up producing a little more than expected on the front side, hoping for the same results on the cooler backside.

Any reports from mimillman or other people in the city?

Hard to tell for sure but looks like a couple inches around Midway and perhaps near 6" far far south side (like Hegewisch)

I'd say 1-2" max down by Midway. Less then .5" around the majority of Chicagoland.

The snow a weekend ago had a lot more impact. This was one of the weaker snow events of the year to put it bluntly.

However, the winds were/are still howling. Main show here lol.

Gary Indiana gusting to 67mph now.  Starting to wonder a bit about that site.  They had a 70+ gust last Friday which seemed a little higher than maybe it should have been.  Not saying either one isn't possible, but it's quite a bit higher than surrounding sites.  Maybe the anemometer cups are caked with wet snow or something lol.

Gary Indiana gusting to 67mph now.  Starting to wonder a bit about that site.  They had a 70+ gust last Friday which seemed a little higher than maybe it should have been.  Not saying either one isn't possible, but it's quite a bit higher than surrounding sites.  Maybe the anemometer cups are caked with wet snow or something lol.

Yeah I don't know what to make of their observations either, they do seem highly suspect though.

Officially Lambert Field in St Louis received 3.6 inches today. Biggest storm of the winter, which is sad. Brings the seasonal total to just short of 11 inches ..again sad.  Some places around the area did get 5-7 inches. I received a half inch here...10 miles east of me had 3 inches  and 7 miles south had 4. Grrr.

Gary Indiana gusting to 67mph now. Starting to wonder a bit about that site. They had a 70+ gust last Friday which seemed a little higher than maybe it should have been. Not saying either one isn't possible, but it's quite a bit higher than surrounding sites. Maybe the anemometer cups are caked with wet snow or something lol.

They do seem to do well with winds. At least today you could use the lake as a possible reason given the ob site's proximity.

They do seem to do well with winds. At least today you could use the lake as a possible reason given the ob site's proximity.

Yeah that lake could help definitely.  If that reading is correct then it must be pretty crazy up in that area.  That's up close to GHD1 Chicago lakefront territory.  

I gotta hand it to Fabert on sticking to his guns on the 3-6" call from last night, he warned the melting on contact would significantly reduce snowfall totals. I guess the inner weenie in me chose to ignore that and was hoping for a top 5 storm, the winds definetely held up to their word, but the snowfall sucked. All but over and we ended with 3" of wet slushy slop with mostly accumulations on grassy surfaces..most well traveled roads throughout Champaign are fine. Still fun, but underperformed snowfall wise.

ALEK must have gone on a 10hr jebwalk in the snow lol.  Unusually quiet for an event (even if it was disappointing) for him.

Posted kudos to the Euro at 4:15 am and walked out the back door. That's when I knew LOT was going to underperform and he was spot on.

Archived