SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-25 PART II

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major storms always seem to push moisture further north than many expect, when the east coast had the blizzard a month ago the heaviest falls were in PA and NYC while MD was widely favored (they did almost as well). I think this one will set up heaviest bands from ORD south-southwest partly due to lake enhancement but with no lake still an 8" storm, the lake doubles the outcome within 40-50 miles. I do agree that there will be very sharp cutoffs on western edge of precip, RFD might get 4" and MLI 1-2' DBQ trace to 1" sort of a deal.

Within Chicagoland, would expect heavier bands across south side and a second area hitting near Evanston and into north side, could be less in between. A third lake effect band will probably set up across Kenosha.

Track of low likely to be NNE then ENE turning around 50 nw IND.

Just to correct you on this, the heaviest "falls" from the blizzard were not in PA or NY. The widest area of 30"+ was in NW MD and VA.

It would be close to a slam dunk if it were a powdery storm. Even if we don't see blizzard warnings, I think there's a pretty decent chance the criteria will be met in some spots.

Totally agree based on latest guidance. Already regretting not getting on the road a few hours ago! I won't be a bit surprised to see a slightly deeper system than models progged at 12z and an increase in the heavier snowfall totals, as well, when all is said and done.

Love these high-impact potential events and am rooting for you guys, even though I won't be there myself, this time! :)

Yeah I totally agree, this is going to be some concrete, east coast backbreaker snow. Guess who volunteered to go on baby duty the next 2 nights? Model watching with little dude.

Nice! My little girl is due in late June/ early July, so I will be able to hopefully stay up with her during our mega-Nina super winter next year...

On topic, flipping across Chicago news broadcasts, they are starting to pound the storm/risk pretty good.

Leading band moving into Chicago metro by 8am tomorrow off the 23z HRRR. 

New product we have on our site...surface visibility that blue there is about 1SM or less in spots. Cool to see where the good snows are occuring

attachicon.gifHRRRMW_sfc_vis_015.png

Also wind gusts 

attachicon.gifHRRRMW_sfc_gust_015.png

Badass!

Major storms always seem to push moisture further north than many expect, when the east coast had the blizzard a month ago the heaviest falls were in PA and NYC while MD was widely favored (they did almost as well). I think this one will set up heaviest bands from ORD south-southwest partly due to lake enhancement but with no lake still an 8" storm, the lake doubles the outcome within 40-50 miles. I do agree that there will be very sharp cutoffs on western edge of precip, RFD might get 4" and MLI 1-2' DBQ trace to 1" sort of a deal.

Within Chicagoland, would expect heavier bands across south side and a second area hitting near Evanston and into north side, could be less in between. A third lake effect band will probably set up across Kenosha.

Track of low likely to be NNE then ENE turning around 50 nw IND.

Hey I hope you're right. You do have a point about the East Coast blizzard.

Not expecting anything more than a dense overcast and 30mph gusts here, so 1-2 feet would certainly be a surprise.

Last time your said that was for the 1/9 storm - it looked hopeless, but you still got a dusting. 

@ Blackrock, I would x2 for your amounts.

Last time your said that was for the 1/9 storm - it looked hopeless, but you still got a dusting

@ Blackrock, I would x2 for your amounts.

Way to be encouraging to him, Geos!!! bahaha

Also, I agree with you on the snow amounts. They almost always lowball for this area. Almost always. Then after a storm has dumped on it, up the totals. lol

Put on TWC and caught my local forecast...it has 8-12" during the day and 1-3" tomorrow night. Also said winds could gust over 50 mph.

I know I've mentioned it more than once but it does remind me of 3/9/98 locally. Similar snows/winds. Tremendous impact with that one (it was poorly forecasted which didn't help).

Have not been paying that much attention to this storm over the last couple of days due to just about everyone in the family but the dog being sick. I am sort of surprised that ILX did not issue a winter weather advisory to the counties just NW of where the current warnings are. The 18z GFS and the hi res short term models are favoring areas along and just NW of I-57 for getting the best wind driven cement in the defo zone with this storm for IL which is further West than what they are currently thinking. 

Put on TWC and caught my local forecast...it has 8-12" during the day and 1-3" tomorrow night. Also said winds could gust over 50 mph.

I know I've mentioned it more than once but it does remind me of 3/9/98 locally. Similar snows/winds. Tremendous impact with that one (it was poorly forecasted which didn't help).

After reading your post, I just researched that storm. Seems like a reasonably good analog for your area. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'll be surprised if your area doesn't see blizzard-like conditions during the day tomorrow...and total snowfall in the 10-14" (12" mean) range. In other words, I like where you're positioned for this event. If I still had enough time to get there, I'd choose the Valparaiso area for my initial intercept location.

I definitely agree on that comparison. Was living in South Bend at the time. That was a late, late bloomer...forecast was for very little until 12 hours before the event.

Definitely one of the more ferocious storms I remember, and I see some similarities, especially in terms of wind potential. A lot of damage on the lakefront with that storm.

Way to be encouraging to him, Geos!!! bahaha

Also, I agree with you on the snow amounts. They almost always lowball for this area. Almost always. Then after a storm has dumped on it, up the totals. lol

Would be something if a stray band made its way that far west and gave him enough to cover the grass.

post-7389-0-24443800-1456277257_thumb.pn

Archived