SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-25 PART II

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM BUFKIT has 0.30" of QPF tomorrow at YYZ as snow. Then an additional 0.20" falls as ZR/RA but the thermal profiles are fractional degrees from having that as snow as well. Then a big slug of warm air pushes in at 800mb and ends any prospect of snow until the wrap around moves in.

4km NAM is less. About 0.20" as snow, then 0.10" additional marginal precip before RA.

First call here is 7-9" with a period of blizzard conditions possible.  Do think it's not of the question for a higher total but marginal thermal profiles and being near the edge of the better precip gradient give me some pause.

7-9" seems reasonable for you, though like you said, marginal thermals is concerning. Also, the ground isn't exactly cold. I know this will be overwhelmed quickly by heavy rates, but still something to consider.

I would say 5-8" is more reasonable for your location. I would say 2-5" across Chicago metro is a good call, and is probably what I'll go with pending the Euro.

Time to stop looking so much at the globals but the 12z UKIE may have ticked east a bit. Not like the NAM, but it's no longer taking the sfc low over/near Detroit. More like CLE/Sandusky.

UKIE did tick east a bit but is now in very good agreement on sfc low track with the 12z GFS, from far western KY to southeast IN to western OH and then over CLE. Still gets 20-25 mm to Chicago and 30-40 mm into northwest IN.

NAM BUFKIT has 0.30" of QPF tomorrow at YYZ as snow. Then an additional 0.20" falls as ZR/RA but the thermal profiles are fractional degrees from having that as snow as well. Then a big slug of warm air pushes in at 800mb and ends any prospect of snow until the wrap around moves in.

4km NAM is less. About 0.20" as snow, then 0.10" additional marginal precip before RA.

Freezing rain threat is becoming a bit more substantial for the western GTA and up on the escarpment. Something to watch particularly with the wind.

ZR could affect Detroit as well on the front end, although the changeover to rain should be fairly quick.

7-9" seems reasonable for you, though like you said, marginal thermals is concerning. Also, the ground isn't exactly cold. I know this will be overwhelmed quickly by heavy rates, but still something to consider.

I would say 5-8" is more reasonable for your location. I would say 2-5" across Chicago metro is a good call, and is probably what I'll go with pending the Euro.

A bunch of us at LOT made picks for snowfall at the office a few days ago and I went with 6.6" so I have to stick with that. Which means gotta go 10-13" in NW IN lol. 7-9"/5-8" are very reasonable calls though.

Freezing rain threat is becoming a bit more substantial for the western GTA and up on the escarpment. Something to watch particularly with the wind.

ZR could affect Detroit as well on the front end, although the changeover to rain should be fairly quick.

Still a little skeptical without true arctic high pressure feeding cold air into this setup.

Still a little skeptical about all this without true arctic high pressure feeding cold air into this setup.

Hmm good point. I supposed the cold air source on the models is the low itself being deep enough to pull enough cold air in directly from the NE.

4km NAM showing the heaviest ZR threat. Nice defo for the Chicago crew. Hoosier might get under those maxed out snow returns.

12Z-20160223_nam4kmUS_prec_radar.gif

Rippage.  Might be able to tap into this or at least come close.

post-14-0-90735900-1456248972_thumb.gif

The March 9, 1998 storm caused a lot of power outages in this area.  Some of the more rural areas of Lake/Porter were without power for almost 2 weeks iirc.  Having lived in this particular location for only a matter of months, not sure how well the power holds up. 

Euro looks a bit west.

Takes same track as last night, it hasn't budged one bit on the track. Maybe the snow shield nudged a bit closer to Chicago which would make sense since it is finally figuring out the better cold side precip but the track is more important for the heaviest snowfall.

Archived