Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 24 2016 severe weather outbreak

Ian

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WEDNESDAY
Severe thunderstorm and tornado outbreak continues, now in GA, east FL panhandle, north and central FL, SC, NC, south and east VA, east MD, DC, south NJ, east TN. TORCON - 5 central and east NC, southeast VA; 4 east SC; 3 rest of area except 2 central and north FL; 2-3 DE, south NJ, east MD. A chance of severe thunderstorms overnight in NJ, Long Island. TORCON - 2 to 3

From SE thread... Dr. Forbes chances for us

I kinda doubt we'll get a lot up here. A run or two with some better instability but gotta think it'll have a hard time getting up here well. SPC outlines seem pretty good though I wouldn't be shocked to see them bump the slight to DC area in the end since models have us kind of on the line. I'd think most or all reports are RIC into the Carolinas.

The NAM struggles to get us out of the 40's Wednesday, but there it finally does get the warm front through during the early evening, and it gets DCA up to 60 with sfc-based cape values just over 500 j/kg and of course shear and helicity up the wazoo.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/namsvrfcst/

We often see the warm front take all day to get north in this area, so this scenario seems plausible.   May be a window for severe between 00 and 05z or so.

<< edit >>  NAM actually keeps us in the upper 30's for much of the day

:o

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
249 PM EST MON FEB 22 2016

&&

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...DRIZZLE WILL
CONTINUE TUE EVENING UNDER SFC WEDGE UNTIL DEEPER MOISTURE ARRIVES
EARLY WED. A FEW POCKETS OF SUB-FREEZING TEMPS ARE POSSIBLE OVER
FAR WRN MD AND ERN WV POTOMAC HIGHLANDS WITH SOME FZDZ POSSIBLE.
CONFIDENCE ON SFC TEMPS NOT VERY HIGH ATTM AND SINCE THIS IS A
THIRD PERIOD EVENT WE`LL NOT ISSUE ANY TYPE OF ADVISORIES THIS FAR
OUT. ANY FREEZING PRECIP IS EXPECTED TO BE LIGHT AND CAUSE LITTLE
IF ANY IMPACTS.

HEAVY RAINS DEVELOP WED AS MOISTURE SURGES IN STRENGTHENING WARM
AIR ADVECTION PATTERN. DEEPENING TROF AND SFC LOW PRES PASSING
WEST OF THE APPALACHIANS WILL RESULT IN LARGE SCALE ASCENT FOR
UPWARD VERTICAL MOTION LATE WED-WED EVENING WITH SHOWERS AND
T-STORMS EXPECTED. POTENTIAL FOR 1-3 INCHES OF RAIN ESPECIALLY IN
T-STORMS BRING CONCERN FOR FLOODING. SEVERE T-STORMS ALSO NOT OUT
OF THE QUESTION DUE TO STRONG WIND PROFILES AND INCREASING
INSTABILITY. MODEL PRECIP FIELDS SHOW A QCLS MOVING THROUGH THE
AREA BETWEEN 00Z-03Z THU. MANY SEVERE WX PARAMETERS ARE RATHER
IMPRESSIVE FOR LATE FEB SUGGESTING A SIGNIFICANT SVR EVENT LATE
WED-WED EVENING.

No offense to the fine mets at LWX but I'll probably go with the SPC marginal for now heh. Good luck finding a truly significant svr episode in Feb here.

Supernino! Convection from the dateline!

Jokes aside, winds are ripping pretty good off the deck. If it can mix down (assuming warm front gets though in time) I could see some interesting stuff happen at least. 40mph gusts with some rumbley periods would "feel" like severe considering the calender date.

Supernino! Convection from the dateline!

Jokes aside, winds are ripping pretty good off the deck. If it can mix down (assuming warm front gets though in time) I could see some interesting stuff happen at least. 40mph gusts with some rumbley periods would "feel" like severe considering the calender date.

Yeah the main unusual aspect is the big shear. Usually once you get into such a meridional flow it's harder to pull off a big day.. not to mention we're pretty far north for so early. I'm going to guess cool air wedge won't give in super quick. May still end up with a window but could be after the best lower level winds move by. SREF is not very bullish on instability even to the south in the Carolinas.

Yeah the main unusual aspect is the big shear. Usually once you get into such a meridional flow it's harder to pull off a big day.. not to mention we're pretty far north for so early. I'm going to guess cool air wedge won't give in super quick. May still end up with a window but could be after the best lower level winds move by. SREF is not very bullish on instability even to the south in the Carolinas.

Yeah the 15z SREF over on the SPC site for mean LI keeps things quite positive area wide until you get pretty far to the south and east. I love severe so it's easy for me to get over invested but I'll stay skeptical on this one at this point. 18z NAM looked decent I suppose. But it's February and we are DC...we like to fail at severe even in June most times. 

If I lived near the SEVA coast I'd be pretty interested. Whenever we've seen a narrow tongue of good parameters get modeled into our area it generally turns out to be our favorite #pencilthinline. 

But Yoda will continue to drag me in with renewed model parameters. Must resist. 

Archived