joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro weeklies show a strong signal for April to start out cold and potentially wintry.

This is April "cold", compared to average. This is not an arctic outbreak. Look at climo April norms for highs. If this even happens, given the models long range performance this past winter should give pause. You have no snowcover from here all the way into southern Canada where the air is coming from for one, you will have the equivalent of a September sun overhead and you're gaining daylight everyday. Whatever comes down out of Canada, is going to modify greatly by the time it gets here....

This is April "cold", compared to average. This is not an arctic outbreak. Look at climo April norms for highs. If this even happens, given the models long range performance this past winter should give pause. You have no snowcover from here all the way into southern Canada where the air is coming from for one, you will have the equivalent of a September sun overhead and you're gaining daylight everyday. Whatever comes down out of Canada, is going to modify greatly by the time it gets here....

I never said arctic cold. I said cold and yes if the timing is right, it can snow in that airmass. EPS is also on board for the cold at least for 2-3 days. I would bet against snow but the airmass for the start of April is below normal.

GEFS is still indicating a very active period beginning next week. The GEFS has been very consistent, and it makes perfect sens with the tanking EPO. My fear is that the blocking becomes so strong that the storm track becomes suppressed. 

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_64.png

That would be something if the blocking shunts the south in April

Looks like there is gonna be lots of widespread snow cover put down during the next two weeks.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2016032206/gfs_asnow_us_41.png

That 4/15-4/16/14 looks like another under-measured event in NYC from the pictures.

It's sad since it should have gone in the record books as the heaviest latest snow at

NYC since 1983 .Notice how all the surrounding sites had measurable snow.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/04/snow-nyc-mid-april-ugh.html

I agree. I drove into the Bronx on the morning of the 16th, there were patches of snow on the ground. Where I live in southern Westchester, we had a coating, as well.

April162014.jpg

I never said arctic cold. I said cold and yes if the timing is right, it can snow in that airmass. EPS is also on board for the cold at least for 2-3 days. I would bet against snow but the airmass for the start of April is below normal.

Would you rather have a sunny springlike day for the first weekend of the baseball season or a cold rain?

That 4/15-4/16/14 looks like another under-measured event in NYC from the pictures.

It's sad since it should have gone in the record books as the heaviest latest snow at

I can go back to January 2000 when CP reported 5.5" for the day but light snow and sleet fell for hours after midnight...I picked up another half inch in the early hours while Central Park reported a trace...That storm should have been a six inch event...

Best April event we had in awhile at that time, and since then of course. I only got a trace on the grass and colder surfaces, but it was nice. I had shorts on the day before this storm as well.

It's a good piece.

One should never rely on a single model or ensemble suite. Moreover, hemispheric skill scores are averages. There can be substantial variability on a regional or sub-regional basis.

It's a good piece.

One should never rely on a single model or ensemble suite. Moreover, hemispheric skill scores are averages. There can be substantial variability on a regional or sub-regional basis.

Seems like the EPS usually follows the op. It hasnt been good at all with  storms this winter .

So you think the negative EPO on the Euro and GEFS is bull****?

no but our anomalies will probably be muted compared to nw of us and the cold probably won't last that long given atlantic ridging and the epo's lowering correlation for us this time of year

bluewave, on 22 Mar 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

Yeah rain changed to snow here at around 11pm on the 15th and continued for a couple of hours....measured 0.6".

About April 06, we may start the longest string of BN days in a year. 4/06---4/21 look almost entirely BN.

Highly doubt that. All the cold shots have been transient 2-4 day events.

The forecasted -Epo is in fantasy range of the ensembles and it could be muted by the time they're in range.

Archived