Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Short/Medium Term Severe Thread

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, the garden-variety part of these storms caused severe reports in Washington County, IL east of St. Louis.  I can see the thunderheads at a distance from here but still clear as a bell--and we desparately need the rain here.

NWUS53 KLSX 252154
LSRLSX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ST LOUIS MO
454 PM CDT SAT JUN 25 2016

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0451 PM HAIL OAKDALE 38.26N 89.50W
06/25/2016 E0.25 INCH WASHINGTON IL TRAINED SPOTTER

PEA SIZED HAIL AND 1-2 INCH DIAMETER TREE LIMBS DOWN IN
OAKDALE ILLINOIS.

0451 PM TSTM WND DMG OAKDALE 38.26N 89.50W
06/25/2016 WASHINGTON IL TRAINED SPOTTER

PEA SIZED HAIL AND 1-2 INCH DIAMETER TREE LIMBS DOWN IN
OAKDALE ILLINOIS.

Currently 93/74 here just north of St Paul. Stifling swampness. Things should really ramp up in the next few hours.

We had 95F/74F... my God..i don't know how someone could put up with this like they do in the south.  Thank God a nice cool shot is coming down.

Dark clouds is about all i'm seeing around here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Next Wed the 13th continues to stand out as a good potential setup for a long-duration severe MCS through the corn belt region.  Euro and GFS continue to agree that strong westerlies in the mid and upper levels spread out south of a strong vort which tracks along the US/Canada border region.  GFS showing >100kts at 250mb early Wed eve.  Rather meager low-level flow, and strong forcing should mean linear MCS mode pretty much from the beginning.  Big fly in the ointment will probably come down to the typical conditional setup issue we deal with, with pretty much every setup this time of year lol.  The main synoptic setup looks pretty darn sweet though at this point.  Hope trends continue.

• 2 weeks later...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED   TORNADO WARNING   NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA   311 PM CDT TUE JUL 19 2016     THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A     * TORNADO WARNING FOR...   MONROE COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL IOWA...     * UNTIL 345 PM CDT     * AT 310 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR ALBIA...MOVING   EAST AT 5 MPH.     HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.     SOURCE...LAW ENFORCEMENT CONFIRMED TORNADO. AT 304PM...A TORNADO   WAS REPORTED ON THE GROUND ABOUT 4 MILES WEST OF ALBIA.     IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT   SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.   DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR.   TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY.     * THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...   ALBIA AROUND 345 PM CDT.     OTHER LOCATIONS IMPACTED BY THIS TORNADIC THUNDERSTORM INCLUDE   LOVILIA AND ALBIA MUNICIPAL AIRPORT.  

One thing to keep in mind about this potential westward moving complex Thursday night.  If it pans out, you would actually be getting the associated thunderstorm winds from an atypical direction...northeast or something with an easterly component.  I'm not sure what state it would be in though as it moves farther away from the better shear (will have good instability to work with).  

Pretty good model agreement on a nice mcs coming from nothern MI to central and maybe even southern MI areas tomorrow night. It's been quite a while since I have seen one of these decently modeled before it happens, looks like it could have some nice wind gusts and maybe some hail too.

1 hour ago, smoof said:

Pretty good model agreement on a nice mcs coming from nothern MI to central and maybe even southern MI areas tomorrow night. It's been quite a while since I have seen one of these decently modeled before it happens, looks like it could have some nice wind gusts and maybe some hail too.

Pretty decent instability is expected to hold through the night as well.

3 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

takes skill to get missed to the south again even with this kind of setup but we pulled it off

gonna be difficult to get missed tonight. having terrible luck flying out of ORD lately....leave for SFO just before 4Z tonight. may be close.

Archived