SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late Feb/March Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And then delivers a 3-6" snow at about day 10-11 that would be melted before you ate lunch the next day.

lol yeah and despite the fact it waits for the high to slide off the coast and a GL low is about to arrive on the scene. Meh, the idea is there. Three runs in a row it gives us some snow....and during a window where the ensembles have been advertising a pretty good pattern for a while now. I am interested, which is more than I can say about next week.

We have scored accumulating snows on the tail ends of both negative AOs this year and i expect we will do it one last time

with this -AO. So this feb 29-mar3 window seems legit to me unlike the feb 24 deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

except I'm not sure the AO is going back positive by then. Is on gefs but eps keeps the AO negative throughout.

-AO is overated. -EPO -NAO when I see blocking in those regions I don't wish for it to move over the pole.into the -AO region.

most of the long range guidance I've seen suggests higher heights all across from the epo to the nao domain. I'm not as worried about some of the warm signal across the conus with runs that have good epo and nao signals. That just doesn't add up. Might get a warm day or two but systems will be forced to dig into the east on that setup.

-AO is overated. -EPO -NAO when I see blocking in those regions I don't wish for it to move over the pole.into the -AO region.

-AO may be overrated but it has happened twice this winter and resulted in a blizzard and 4" of snow. Better correlation with accumulating snow this winter than any other index.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most of the long range guidance I've seen suggests higher heights all across from the epo to the nao domain. I'm not as worried about some of the warm signal across the conus with runs that have good epo and nao signals. That just doesn't add up. Might get a warm day or two but systems will be forced to dig into the east on that setup.

On the same page. Ens mean ml and surface temps shouldn't be a reason to "boo" when the h5 pattern is one that offers more potential.

I'm in recliner mode. The next week offers nothing wintry for my yard unless some massive and unlikely changes take place. There is nothing specific to follow closely.

I have a hunch that we are tracking something specific by mid-late next week. Maybe an overrunning scenario. Enough confluence on the ens means showing up to keep that option open.

HUGE pattern improvement on the Day 10 EURO. In fact, I'd venture to say that on this run if it ran to day 12-15 it would show a snowstorm.

early March into mid March is when I've been thinking we have our real window. Just like January we usually try to rush the development of these patterns. With it being so late I can understand but this week is still part of the relaxation period or beginning of the transition. Long range runs have had good blocking where we want it but also been doing some weird stuff under it and showing some odd solutions. I'm of the opinion that once we get within range the guidance will start to show the threats, like bob said. I'd be shocked if we're not tracking something by the middle of this week. We may have 2-3 more threats to track before the blocking breaks down.

On the same page. Ens mean ml and surface temps shouldn't be a reason to "boo" when the h5 pattern is one that offers more potential.

I'm in recliner mode. The next week offers nothing wintry for my yard unless some massive and unlikely changes take place. There is nothing specific to follow closely.

I have a hunch that we are tracking something specific by mid-late next week. Maybe an overrunning scenario. Enough confluence on the ens means showing up to keep that option open.

I've been looking at this too, and noticed what you are talking about in terms of the mid level and surface temps in some of the model runs.  When one looks at the 500 mb flow (of either the ops or ensembles), you would think "wow, that looks pretty darned good, we may well have one last event to track."  I'm talking from the period right after the (non)-event middle of next week through about the first week of March.  But then, the 850 mb and 2 m temps looked pretty "meh", or at least warmer than what I would have expected.  Not sure why.  On the ensembles, I'd guess a good bit of spread is causing that in part.  Also, maybe it really is partly because we're looking at the beginning of March, implying you need something quite amplified to cool it off.  I know we cannot directly compare other years to this one per se or say that the same things will happen, but we have mustered some really cold air during the day in March, along with solid snow events in the past couple of years.  With the projected 500 mb  flow being shown, I'd say that's reason to be encouraged if we're looking for one last snow to track (or next-to-last, haha!).  Actually, in checking last night's models, the temps look a bit more "in line" (so to speak) with what you see at 500 mb, whatever that is worth.

I haven't seen much in regard to the overrunning potential around Feb. 29, but that signal for Mar. 2-3 sure is showing up.

Really like what the 6z gefs is serving up d8-11. Once we get into late winter the big cold pushes don't blast to Atlanta or jacksonville nearly as easily. The boundary is more apt to stall and lift. Good precip can run the gradient. 6z gefs solutions really show this as does the op. EPS is pretty uneventful but that can easily change as we move through time.

I'm pretty optimistic for a last hurrah as well.

This may sound sick, but as we head into March...it got me thinking whether we can end up with a colder March than this past December.  I think we can do it, if we have at least near normal temperatures in March.

At DCA...

December 2015:  avg. max=58.8, avg. min=43.5, mean=51.2

March Normals:  max=55.9, min=37.6, mean=46.8

So even just a normal March would do it easily...pretty impressive.  If it's colder than normal, even more so.  Amazing what a +11.5 departure in December will do!

[ETA:  For as warm as it was, we "only" broke one record high in Dec. 2015, and tied another.  But we also broke/tied a handful of high min records.  So it was the consistent warmth (especially overnight?) that was so remarkable, more than the number of records.]

Really like what the 6z gefs is serving up d8-11. Once we get into late winter the big cold pushes don't blast to Atlanta or jacksonville nearly as easily. The boundary is more apt to stall and lift. Good precip can run the gradient. 6z gefs solutions really show this as does the op. EPS is pretty uneventful but that can easily change as we move through time.

I'm pretty optimistic for a last hurrah as well.

Same here.  I know some on this board don't care for March snows but as I've said, I'd be all in for an event on the level of what we got the last two Marches.  Then I'd be good with calling it a winter and cashing the chips out.  (Ah, who am I kidding...I know I'd be sucked right back in if another possibility showed up later on...but you know what I mean!).

My only concern is that the pattern the models are showing comes to fruition. They have advertised decent blocking a few times this year that never really materialized. Recall the Kara ridge block that was the cause for the blizzard wasn't on the long lead ensembles. I guess all we can do is wait to see if this comes. Just nobody be too disappointed if it's another mind fake.

Archived