• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Severe Potential Feb 23-24

rolltide_130

Was in Newton Grove earlier for the "wedge" tornado. Moving so fast I sacrificed the pic for a 59 second video. Despite chasing more than 20 hurricanes and 6 blizzards, I had never chased a tornado before. So, I'm fortunate I didn't get myself killed this evening! Going to finally head back home. Thoughts and prayers are with those who suffered losses, today!

Damn. Did you see any damage?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been lurking for a couple years now so don't mind the n00b profile.

Wake County schools (among many more) let students out early today with the impending tornado warnings/watches.  Does this make any sense to you?  I was under the impression that schools are typically used as temporary shelters in the case of disaster.  Wouldn't that make it the safest possible place for the children?  Why send them home to a place where they could potentially have to just turn around and go back to the school?

Further, parents now must leave work early to get their children, putting them on the road for lengthy periods during "dangerous" times.  Aren't the kids better off having an extended day rather than a shortened one?

Is the superintendent making this choice on his own or is it suggested by the NWS/WRAL/Whatever?

Damn. Did you see any damage?

Apologize for not responding sooner. I just got back home. It looked as if it moved through just S of town, thankfully.

Here are a few screen shots from the low quality video captured usuing my cell phone. The new SD disk was defective...so I couldn't use my camcorder or tripod for the video. I guess it's better than nothing, and still shows the size and power of this particular wedge tornado!

post-6681-0-12836200-1456382219_thumb.pn

post-6681-0-12876400-1456382246_thumb.pn

post-6681-0-28808200-1456382286_thumb.pn

I've been lurking for a couple years now so don't mind the n00b profile.

Wake County schools (among many more) let students out early today with the impending tornado warnings/watches.  Does this make any sense to you?  I was under the impression that schools are typically used as temporary shelters in the case of disaster.  Wouldn't that make it the safest possible place for the children?  Why send them home to a place where they could potentially have to just turn around and go back to the school?

Further, parents now must leave work early to get their children, putting them on the road for lengthy periods during "dangerous" times.  Aren't the kids better off having an extended day rather than a shortened one?

Is the superintendent making this choice on his own or is it suggested by the NWS/WRAL/Whatever?

NWS helped keep them informed.  The dismissals were due to the timing of the storms falling during the hours when buses would be on the roads.  If the storms came thru at 10am, nobody would have dismissed.

Helicopters are flying circles over my area now. Maybe NWS. Surveys.

...BRIEF TORNADO TOUCHDOWN CONFIRMED NEAR NORTH DURHAM IN DURHAM COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA...

LOCATION...5 NW OF THE CITY OF DURHAM IN DURHAM COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA

DATE...2/24/2016 ESTIMATED TIME...400 TO 401 PM EST

MAXIMUM EF- SCALE RATING...EF1

ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...90 MPH

MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...50 YARDS

PATH LENGTH...0.10 MILE

* FATALITIES...0 * INJURIES...0 *

THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN NWS STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH NC HAS CONFIRMED A BRIEF TORNADO TOUCHDOWN 5 MILES NW OF DOWNTOWN DURHAM IN DURHAM COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA ON 2/24/2016. THE TOUCHDOWN OCCURRED IN A DENSE FOREST AREA NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF HILLANDALE ROAD AND ROSE OF SHARON ROAD. IN THIS AREA...TREE DAMAGE WAS EXTENSIVE...MAINLY CONSISTING OF SNAPPED TREES. OTHERWISE...DAMAGE ACROSS DURHAM COUNTY WAS STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE WITH NUMEROUS TREES UPROOTED AND FALLING IN A NORTHEASTERLY DIRECTION. TREES FELL ONTO APPROXIMATELY 4 TO 5 HOMES. 

Pretty cool graphic...

On February 24th numerous supercell thunderstorms tracked across NC and VA. The image illustrates just how many supercell thunderstorms with intense rotation tracked across the region. Each path on the map represents a separate rotation updraft which could have potentially produced tornadoes. Areas in red and white represent very strong rotation. The NWS office in Wakefield issued Tornado Warnings from around 230 pm through 9 pm warning residents of the destructive storms. Local media remained on the air throughout the event keeping everyone informed and up to date on warnings and storm tracks. The deadly storms were moving at speeds of nearly 60 mph with 7 confirmed tornadoes in the NWS Wakefield forecast area ranging in intensity from EF0 to EF3 (in Tappahanock) with winds ranging from 80 mph up to nearly 150 mph. This was the largest known February outbreak of tornadoes in VA based on data from the National Climatic Data Center with 8 confirmed tornadoes in VA on Wednesday February 24, 2016.

12804795_977450229014885_653635598529261

Archived