• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2016 Pattern

40/70 Benchmark

Not to be snarky ... but, that tends to flee by the 15th of February anyways.

Last year really showed that, despite the pack being what it was.  We had 120 " over much of eastern Mass in 5 weeks, but never had more than 40" on the ground. 

An amazing number? Yes.  A big loss on gross?  Yes, too - 

The problem is, even in examples like last year's extremeness ... this time of year the snow eats back.  It just does.  Despite the remarkable anomaly that last year was, and appeared to sustain despite the truth about mid Feb onwards... It really only underscores how much you have to have a steady diet of events to keep up - which last year uniquely qualified! 

Otherwise, you don't sustain very well at this time of year - that ship sailed a while ago.. 

The best sustain happens during the solar minimum - it's a 3 mo long period of time from Nov 1 through about Feb 3 at our latitude.  If that's the game we're playing winter needs to be front/mid loaded or it's futile most years. 

Well, the shear weight of the snow on itself last year also was a big factor in why most areas 'struggled' to exceed a 50" pack last year despite 100" in three weeks.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the shear weight of the snow on itself last year also was a big factor in why most areas 'struggled' to exceed a 50" pack last year despite 100" in three weeks.

compaction is factorable at all times times though.

the difference at this time of year is the addition of sun; that if you have dry air (arctic) and a hot sun laser beaming the snow pack, it eats big time!  it doesn't even have to "melt" ... it'll phase transition quickly from frozen to gaseous wv in that environment.  considering most snow packs at this time of year are not actually cocooned by 10 F air anyway, that only steepens the argument.  

I paddled the Willimantic last year on April 8th, and there were huge sculpted snow banks on the shore. The river was high from snowmelt and nothing else, like it was some northern river like the Ammonoosuc or something. Epic awesome time.

I doubt I will every experience that again in NE CT.

Mid feb is when sunny days really start to cook one of the rooms in my house from the sun (and also the snowpack).  First time comes in mid feb, 18th was the day this year.  It's sort of an unofficial start of spring for me.

Yeah, the weather has been fantastic lately. I wouldn't mine if this continues. I hope it's nice and warm for the St. Paddy's Day parade.

Not to be snarky ... but, that tends to flee by the 15th of February anyways.

Last year really showed that, despite the pack being what it was.  We had 120 " over much of eastern Mass in 5 weeks, but never had more than 40" on the ground. 

An amazing number? Yes.  A big loss on gross?  Yes, too - 

The problem is, even in examples like last year's extremeness ... this time of year the snow eats back.  It just does.  Despite the remarkable anomaly that last year was, and appeared to sustain despite the truth about mid Feb onwards... It really only underscores how much you have to have a steady diet of events to keep up - which last year uniquely qualified! 

Otherwise, you don't sustain very well at this time of year - that ship sailed a while ago.. 

The best sustain happens during the solar minimum - it's a 3 mo long period of time from Nov 1 through about Feb 3 at our latitude.  If that's the game we're playing winter needs to be front/mid loaded or it's futile most years. 

That's a pretty broad statement.  Obviously a place like New London, CT won't hold on to the pack very long, but go a few hours up to Florida, MA, and there is snow pack easily into April there some years, with most years well into March.  ...Unless you want to start picking parts of SNE and putting them into different categories - elevation, latitude, etc. 

That's a pretty broad statement.  Obviously a place like New London, CT won't hold on to the pack very long, but go a few hours up to Florida, MA, and there is snow pack easily into April there some years, with most years well into March.  ...Unless you want to start picking parts of SNE and putting them into different categories - elevation, latitude, etc. 

Missed the point... it's a TRUE statement.

It's harder - period.  Ur turning the discussion into something else.   

I'm with Jay, you are beating a dead horse. We all know snow melts and/or sublimates more as sun angle increases, and we all know what time of year that happens.

I'm with Jay, you are beating a dead horse. We all know snow melts and/or sublimates more as sun angle increases, and we all know what time of year that happens.

No, again... your jumping in and not even knowing the origin;  the original poster made a comment that sounded off as throwing hands at this point because sustained snow pack wasn't in the cards.   I'm not beating any dead horse to inform that individual that at this time of year, that ship sailed long ago anyway - as typical, the winter covets flipped out as though some sacrosanct jest were made toward their wives for christ sake and wanted to argue it...  

drop it. What's dead about it is the trivial stupidity of this stream of dialogue - so yeah...

No, again... your jumping in and not even knowing the origin; the original poster made a comment that sounded off as throwing hands at this point because sustained snow pack wasn't in the cards. I'm not beating any dead horse to inform that individual that at this time of year, that ship sailed anyway -

drop it. What's dead about it is the trivial stupidity of this stream of dialogue - so yeah...

I read the entire conversation. Agree on your last point, either they get it or they are just whining. Beating a dead horse or a dead weenie, result is the same.

Napes all over SNE were feeling above average warmth this weekend...It's a TRUE statement.

"flee" and "harder" have two very different meanings which means you have turned your own discussion into something else

...although I get what you are saying.   Just bored, and tired of this season right about now.

Napes all over SNE were feeling above average warmth this weekend...It's a TRUE statement.

"flee" and "harder" have two very different meanings which means you have turned your own discussion into something else

...although I get what you are saying.   Just bored, and tired of this season right about now.

And you know ...I come home and see the 18z GFS and it's laughing at someone for having their mother die - 

haha can't be any more god-awful.   

Normally ...I'd say it was a conspiracy by NCEP to madden people, but ... reality has been just about that bad, too - so. 

j/k

I love this weather......i'll take this since the season is hell-bent on not snowing.

Zero complaints.

The issue comes when it actually tries to snow because it fu*ks that up, and any sensibly appealing element.

I'd tap out this very moment if I could...just ring the bell.

Ditto.

I'm sure this winter will reel us back in with the progged pattern setting up after this week's whiffs and rainer.

Ditto.

I'm sure this winter will reel us back in with the progged pattern setting up after this week's whiffs and rainer.

Its going to have to take a very large and high percentage threat to pull both of my legs back in the door....I'm done with praying for 3".

I'm disgusted with it.

I broke.

I love this weather......I'll take this since the season is hell-bent on not snowing.

Zero complaints.

The issue comes when it actually tries to snow because it fu*ks that up, and any sensibly appealing element.

I'd tap out this very moment if I could...just ring the bell.

I'm with you. Unfortunately we still face the hell that is spring in eastern ma. Well, you're usually sunnier than me. Southie will be fogged in for like two straight months.

Archived