joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/16-17 Clipper System

John1122

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the look of the very high returns on the radar around Knox and surrounding counties, I wouldn't be surprised to see some big wet flakes mixing in.  Especially, if you're up on a ridge. The rain isn't nearly that heavy, so it must be a mix of rain and snow causing the high reflectivity.  Probably not all the snow is reaching the ground, though. 

MRX_0.png

I just had a dark orange area on the radar move over me with pretty heavy rain, and there was defintely a mix involved (I could see globs of snow in the security light), but as soon as it lightened up it went back to rain. Kind of pointless now, since the system appears to be departing long before scheduled.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

MRX removed the southern and southwestern parts of the advisory, and acknowledged that the system is moving really swiftly to the east. Said they'd leave TRI in for now, as a few areas could get a quick accum. I am at 1,450ft here at the house, I would be curious as to what it was like on Crockett's Ridge at the top, in town. That is the highest point in Hamblen Co. Goes up to 1,952ft. So, that would be really close to 2k ft. They usually get more than me in nearly every case. In this case though, it could have been significant.

I hit 34 when it was all snow, so I would imagine that's the magic number to get a complete or almost complete changeover in this case. Too bad it didn't last but about 15min once it switched. Just a slushy picnic table and just a little on the grass is all I had to show for it.

Archived