• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm-Upstate NY-2/15-2/16

I'm on the east side in Webster and we're approaching 20"...

WOW, thats some serious snows right there especially for KROC.  Impressive indeed, and do enjoy it as there can be potentially a couple moe before the season ends.  I'm not saying 20"+ storms either, but definitely some threats will exist going forward.  Nino springs, here in the NE, tend to, lets say, dreadfully draaag on!!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, too much model mania last night. You can't live and die with every successive model run (especially those meso models) that comes out, especially that close to an event.

I'm interested to see if anyone in the Rochester area reaches 24". I thought it was extremely unlikely, but some of the numbers that have been reported so far are pretty impressive. No way I'm going to make it out here, was only at 9" at 10 am. West side is the wrong side again, I guess!

How can there be such a difference in totals as you are both on the West side of KROC?? Delta's saying he's approaching 14-15" prob more like 18" with settling.  You say you got 9", but that was at 10 am so what gives out there, lol??

Just measured 14-15" on the ground on the west side of roc. So we probably got 18 new inches if you factor in settling. I also Drove 125 miles around Monroe county and dug out/pushed out a dozen stuck cars over the course of the morning. A really nice event for this area.

My backyard....looking lovely!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Congrats Delta!!

How can there be such a difference in totals as you are both on the West side of KROC?? Delta's saying he's approaching 14-15" prob more like 18" with settling.  You say you got 9", but that was at 10 am so what gives out there, lol??

I'll be making a new measurement in a little bit, I would think we've probably picked up another 2-3" since 10 am. I have no way to estimate how much settling has occurred so I won't make any claims about that...can only report what was on the ground last night (3") and what was on the ground at 10 am (12"). I measure in the flat areas well away from the house and any other obstructions.

ROC airport reported 12" new snow at 10:45, so that's 3" more than I measured. Not sure exactly how they measure, I don't follow any official protocols (I take a bunch of measurements in a flat area and average them). But based on what I saw on the radar this morning, I wouldn't be surprised to see a tight gradient in this area. There was an independent report (COCORAHS) from 2 mi ENE of Brockport, very close to where I am, of 8.5" at 10 am. I should find out who that is...

I'll be making a new measurement in a little bit, I would think we've probably picked up another 2-3" since 10 am. I have no way to estimate how much settling has occurred so I won't make any claims about that...can only report what was on the ground last night (3") and what was on the ground at 10 am (12"). I measure in the flat areas well away from the house and any other obstructions.

ROC airport reported 12" new snow at 10:45, so that's 3" more than I measured. Not sure exactly how they measure, I don't follow any official protocols. But based on what I saw on the radar this morning, I wouldn't be surprised to see a tight gradient in this area. There was an independent report (COCORAHS) from 2 mi NE of Brockport, very close to where I am, of 8.5" at 10 am.

gotcha, and I agree about the gradient!

The surface never torched here but the upper levels went above freezing around 2:00 last night, leaving Ithaca with 32-33 and pouring rain the last 12 hours. Everything is covered in an inch of slush and ice, with huge pools of water everywhere that are going to freeze over rapidly this evening. Approaching 3 inches of liquid precip with more to come. Pretty much worst case-scenario.  <_<

The surface never torched here but the upper levels went above freezing around 2:00 last night, leaving Ithaca with 32-33 and pouring rain the last 12 hours. Everything is covered in an inch of slush and ice, with huge pools of water everywhere that are going to freeze over rapidly this evening. Approaching 3 inches of liquid precip with more to come. Pretty much worst case-scenario.  <_<

Just...lovely. 

KROC came in with 16.3 at 100 pm. Lots of obs both sides of the city backing that up. 

FYI, I heard reports that Newark, Lyons, Shortsville area switched over to freezing rain for awhile. 0.25" ice report out of Lyons just before 10 am this morning, but it looks like they had a good 5-7" before changeover. Meanwhile, areas on the far east-side of Monroe County reporting 15-16". Tough call in there!

That's some insane QPF though.

Archived