joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/16 President Day Storm Obs

UnionWeatherWx

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really confused as to why the NWS is so far behind on this. The graphic still says less than 0.10" ice almost everywhere. Temp has been holding steady in the low to mid 20's.

They are definitely behind, and that map should be updated.  When it comes to ice, I'd rather see them forecast more than what actually falls.

They are definitely behind, and that map should be updated. When it comes to ice, I'd rather see them forecast too much than too little.

I guess it's the unpredictable and localized nature of it but they have the same guidance we see and up to the minute reports. You would expect a bit more diligence especially considering how hazardous ice can be. This will catch a lot of people off guard.

I guess it's the unpredictable and localized nature of it but they have the same guidance we see and up to the minute reports. You would expect a bit more diligence especially considering how hazardous ice can be. This will catch a lot of people off guard.

Well that's the thing.  I'm sure they are trying to keep the forecasts as accurate as they can for us given the various terrain in the area.  Hopefully the nightly news mentions this.

Left work in Rahway, around 6:45 pm, right after it had changed to sleet and freezing rain.  Measured 1.75" on the ground and it was 26F when I left. 

Drove the 9 miles SW to Metuchen, down Route 1, which was slushy (and had a multi-car fender-bender with 2 lanes closed, but traffic was light enough there wasn't a big backup); side streets were treacherous.

Measured 2.0" at home around 7:05 pm (thought we got a little more, just looking at the radar) and it was all freezing rain there and 27F.  Just cooked steaks and noodles for the wife and me, ate and cleaned up.  Just walked around outside and it's still ZR with maybe 0.05" of ice glaze on everything, but temp is up to 29F - pretty quick rise and I expect it to be above 32F by 9-10 pm. 

The 2" brings me to 30" for the season.  Pretty amazing for such a warm winter.  

Archived