Welcome to American Weather
nj2va

President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

1,715 posts in this topic

Pretty neat driving over the Blue Ridge this morning. At the base of the mountain it was 34 degrees. At the top of the mountain it was 43 degrees. A 9 degree difference in 900 feet. Shows how long it takes for the rain to scour out the freezing temps at the surface.

Pretty neat driving over the Blue Ridge this morning. At the base of the mountain it was 34 degrees. At the top of the mountain it was 43 degrees. A 9 degree difference in 900 feet. Shows how long it takes for the rain to scour out the freezing temps at the surface.

Noticed that as well.

Its laughable, but there really is a "dry slot" over NPZs house. Too funny. it's pouring everywhere else.

Meh, it was raining pretty hard for a while earlier.  I was a lot more upset over the dry slot yesterday.  The dry hole is on its annual journey to becoming a semi-permanent fixture for the May - Sep. period.

Windy and torchy. Just lost all my snow in that heavy line that came through. Definitely have some localized flooding in my area.

Temp up to 52.

Do you have a rain gauge?  Mine is showing .67 but it tends to run a little low based on the nearby cocorahs stations.

Do you have a rain gauge? Mine is showing .67 but it tends to run a little low based on the nearby cocorahs stations.

I do, but I screwed up and left rain in it from the other day :(. We've got to be close to a inch.

definitely one of the more interesting storms.  someone on here said that this is one of those events where basically everyone was right.  probably true.  i had some serious doubts the cold air would be as quick to leave as was suggested by the model threads.  it just doesn't always happen that way, especially with arctic air.  saturday was freakin' cold and so was sunday.  nevertheless, i don't think many people expected that clipper-like system laying down 1-2" sunday night either.  in the end, the outcome was pretty much what was talked about, it just didn't happen exactly the way many people expected.

also had a pretty good gust this morning around 9am and seriously thought there might be a funnel nearby.  lasted about 30 seconds and that was it.  

i'm also kinda glad it warmed up.  if it's not gonna snow i can usually go without highs in the 20s.  that was fun for like 2 days.

fun storm, now a break, then let's see what the last stretch of winter has in store.

Certainly not a long duration rain, probably less than 6 hours from start to end/drizzle. But hot and heavy none the less, just over an inch. Also Philly hit 59/60.

Nothing much left here but some remaining piles from the blizzard.  Maybe a few patches from the snow yesterday, too.  Amazing, 24 hours later you would not even have thought it was so exciting just the day before!  I guess that's what a deluge of rain and temperatures spiking to 50+ will do.  Fun while it was around, though...can't complain really!