Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

definitely one of the more interesting storms.  someone on here said that this is one of those events where basically everyone was right.  probably true.  i had some serious doubts the cold air would be as quick to leave as was suggested by the model threads.  it just doesn't always happen that way, especially with arctic air.  saturday was freakin' cold and so was sunday.  nevertheless, i don't think many people expected that clipper-like system laying down 1-2" sunday night either.  in the end, the outcome was pretty much what was talked about, it just didn't happen exactly the way many people expected.

also had a pretty good gust this morning around 9am and seriously thought there might be a funnel nearby.  lasted about 30 seconds and that was it.  

Nothing much left here but some remaining piles from the blizzard.  Maybe a few patches from the snow yesterday, too.  Amazing, 24 hours later you would not even have thought it was so exciting just the day before!  I guess that's what a deluge of rain and temperatures spiking to 50+ will do.  Fun while it was around, though...can't complain really!

Strangely, as of about 5:00 pm, I had about an inch of snow on average around my property. We stayed below 40 until at least noon or so, so that crusted 5" took some time to get beat down.

Really interesting observations from my morning and afternoon commutes:

When I got in my car at about 8:00 this morning, it was 34 and pouring (and there was a thick, thick crust of ice on everything). I drove a few miles to the southeast - just barely to the west of the fall line - and it was 44. Got on the Beltway at the Mixing Bowl and it was 50, where it remained (popping up to 52 a couple times) all the way to Andrews.

Hopped in the car to head home at around 3:30 with no snow at all on the ground all the way until I hit the fall line. As soon as I hit the fall line, there was snowcover in most places. It was a really stark difference, with snow in all the wooded areas and on many non-south-facing lawns. It was pretty surprising, to be honest. Really fascinating.

Archived