Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torching.  45F. 

Went from 32F to 48F between 6am and 8am here in Clarksburg.  Temps are swinging around a ton.  Down to 39.6F at 8:45am.  Downpours have melted tons of the snow and ice here.  Most of the 3" from yesterday is gone leaving the hardpack 2" and piles from before the storm.

'High' was 34.4 at 5:20 am, currently 33.6, least I made it above freezing, to my east and southeast didn't, reports of over .5 ice in areas. 1.78 liquid from storm, .32 was snow/sleet until a little after noon, then sleet/freezing drizzle until 10, then Zr became heavy until climbed above 32 at 2 am to make it just rain. Still have 3.5 on ground, SWE of that is 1.25.

So DCA and IAD held onto freezing until 5 am and Andrews until 4 am. That idea of a later changeover was caught on by the short range models and the meso ones-- albeit those got colder run by run. The globals took us above freezing too early all the way to the last runs.

This matches what usually happens when looking at the different models' timing in transitioning to rain.

I am impressed that given that the 15-20 degree spike was inevitable with the low's track, the cold did stay so entrenched.

That line that jest moved through was pretty nasty. Gusty winds and low vis rain.

This storm is just missing TL and a wedge to be a full buffet.

I separated in my head yesterday from today into two different storms. It helped me enjoy the neat multi-course winter storm on its own and now be able to enjoy this part today like it were a hurricane remnant :)

Pretty neat driving over the Blue Ridge this morning. At the base of the mountain it was 34 degrees. At the top of the mountain it was 43 degrees. A 9 degree difference in 900 feet. Shows how long it takes for the rain to scour out the freezing temps at the surface.

Noticed that as well.

Its laughable, but there really is a "dry slot" over NPZs house. Too funny. it's pouring everywhere else.

Meh, it was raining pretty hard for a while earlier.  I was a lot more upset over the dry slot yesterday.  The dry hole is on its annual journey to becoming a semi-permanent fixture for the May - Sep. period.

Archived