joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps rise when it rains and drops when it stops. Was at 31, now back down to 30. Ice is still solid. No dripping. Also, RIC is still below freezing at 31.

cold air only a few thousand feet deep. Nice mid 40s warm nose below 850. Any mixing probably brings a little down plus the freezing rain process tends to cause a little warming. As soon as we get some winds the sfc will warm quick.

yeah pretty interesting. maximized our potential. now let's get some AM thunder. :P

And all the winter weather fans have had one legitimate day of winter weather. As for the next part of the storm: the river-specific flood watches are also something that aren't too frequent for the LWX forecast area. So that's something interesting to follow. 

Noticed the afternoon 4km nam had a clipper going to our south bringing snow tomorrow eve but seemed like the only solution doing it.

If that trailing vort wasn't so tightly spaced to the low riding by in the morning it would probably be something. It's a pretty quality pass. Just doesn't seem there's anything left for it when it gets here. Some of the GFS/Euro type runs of the past did have it spit out some snow or rain depending on pass.

Just returned home on rout 50 left lane not clear center lane 50/50 right lane slushy.  side streets very Icy side walk ice covered had to walk on snow to get to front door temp goes back and forth between 29-30 in Annapolis.  Drove by my local school bus lot nothings been touched in the lot buses covered in ice and snow. 

And all the winter weather fans have had one legitimate day of winter weather. As for the next part of the storm: the river-specific flood watches are also something that aren't too frequent for the LWX forecast area. So that's something interesting to follow. 

yeah today was solid by any measure.. and i was one of the people saying I don't care much for snow that gets washed away. :P  basically a storm in itself in the end. maybe we can get a few more people off the 'this winter isn't that good' bandwagon. weirdos. ;)

Meanwhile the low we debated for 100 days is beginning its mountain climbing treck. Meteorologically impossible wins. ;)

The main low hasn't really mattered for days imho. West/overhead/east...the main show with it was going to be rain. I quit worrying about the track once I conceded the front side from the lead vort and waa from the secondary was the only show irt winter wx. And thankfully it over performed. This was one of those jacked up MA events that added to totals and fun to experience. We'll probably get another jacked up event before the month is out.

Just returned home on rout 50 left lane not clear center lane 50/50 right lane slushy.  side streets very Icy side walk ice covered had to walk on snow to get to front door temp goes back and forth between 29-30 in Annapolis.  Drove by my local school bus lot nothings been touched in the lot buses covered in ice and snow. 

Until we hit the 40's in a 3-hr climb overnight, this area is pretty much a wintry mess. 

But lol at the current Maryland-Virginia school divide. They used to kind of go lock-step by longitude (So MoCo would usually match with Fairfax) but now there's this thing with VA systems calling much earlier than MD systems.  

The main low hasn't really mattered for days imho. West/overhead/east...the main show with it was going to be rain. I quit worrying about the track once I conceded the front side from the lead vort and waa from the secondary was the only show irt winter wx. And thankfully it over performed. This was one of those jacked up MA events that added to totals and fun to experience. We'll probably get another jacked up event before the month is out.

I was too busy fighting people who said it was going to track along the coast to care much about the front running stuff. ;)

Though really in the end it did about what I was expecting IMBY total wise.. just not quite in the way/timing expected. Otherwise, did end up a game we didn't really have the entire right idea on until very late and even there not sure official forecasts really ever caught up. Certainly wouldn't say it did what I anticipated from the start overall. I'd count it as a high end performer for what it could have been and what it was. Definitely did about as well as we could have hoped for.. unless you're psuhoffman.

Nonetheless, there were a lot of people who said this low couldn't take that track because of whatever reason. Can't totally lose that in the rest. :P

Until we hit the 40's in a 3-hr climb overnight, this area is pretty much a wintry mess. 

But lol at the current Maryland-Virginia school divide. They used to kind of go lock-step by longitude (So MoCo would usually match with Fairfax) but now there's this thing with VA systems calling much earlier than MD systems.  

people are always like schools can open! my road is fine . However people forget 200+ schools 100s+ of buses miles and miles of school sidewalks need to cleared before schools can even begin to open.  all schools will have a delay and i suspect west of 95 will close.

Measured 1/4 inch of ice on top of snowpack. Trees and other surfaces holding between 1/10 and 1/4 inch. Small limbs/branches breaking off trees due to the weight of the ice. Untreated roads are a skating rink. I had to walk like a penguin to navigate safely.

Temp holding at 28F, periods of ZR and showery. Winds beginning to increase a bit. Likely to see several more hours of sub freezing temps out this way.

Another fun one to cover and so many good obs

31.4 here but it's not freezing anymore. A lot of you did better on snow as I got 3.

Do we get another one or are we done?

We're not done until we're done. Let's charge through this torch and lay down one more. Hitting 30" would be another great season for my yard.

Neck breaking icy. Don't go outside and surprise Jebwalk with flip-flops on ;) Sitting at 29.

We're not done until we're done. Let's charge through this torch and lay down one more. Hitting 30" would be another great season for my yard.

Neck breaking icy. Don't go outside and surprise Jebwalk with flip-flops on ;) Sitting at 29.

We are not done with winter quite yet.

Look out again near the end of Feb and the 1st week of March

Archived