Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Valentine's Day Storm Obs

NCSNOW

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) -

Troopers are responding to numerous crashes in the Upstate alone.

According to the SCHP website, troopers are currently responding to over 122 crashes in Anderson, Greenville, and Spartanburg counties as of 6:30 p.m. 

Several crashes were also reported in Laurens, Greenwood, and Cherokee counties. 

Many vehicles have been seen flipped over and on their side, including a crash involving several cars on Highway 25 near Travelers Rest.

Troopers, police officers, and deputies are urging drivers to use caution and to stay home if possible. 

Black ice was causing problems on roads and bridges on Highway 14 near Pelham Road.

Fox Carolina crews out in the field said a multi-vehicle crash blocked traffic near the intersection of Haywood Road and Pelham Road around 7 p.m. Monday. 

Several crashes were reported on Pelham Road.

Been away for awhile but endured a very strange IP earlier this evening...was mostly getting snow near the surface before a down draft of low visibility pieces of ice and heavy freezing rain fell. My brother came outside asking if we were in a hail storm.

This is the best sledding conditions the northern foothills have seen in years. We are usually too cold to see a few tenths of an inch of ice and end up with over a foot of snow. Not this time.  

• Temp just dropped to 29 degree's in Gainesville, GA. With heavy precip on the doostep...

Funny...despite claims of the euro's awesomeness by some, it sure as hell wasn't awesome with temps today with the last few runs showing temps well into the 40s for gainesville and most of northeast ga...with freezing temps retreating to the nc foothills by this afternoon. The gfs has already busted badly there but is about to be even worse...by now it had temps  in gainesville of the lower 40s.  By 03z it has consistently shown temps in gainesville warming up to 50 to 52 degrees. I actually wouldn't be too shocked if temps do rise after it starts raining hard as it literally "drags" down warmer air which is just above the surface but i don't think they'll make 52 in 2 1/2 hours. Looks like an old avn level bust coming up.

Haven't had any time to post but i actually had partly sunny skies for about an hour (with several more of thin cloud cover) and got up to 37 but there has been a rather surprising temp drop and am now back to 32.3 over 29.  Quite a difference in temps today across the area though. Atlanta did manage 52 or so, athens thinks to the sun coming through for several hours today made it to 42 or 43 but are back to 37.

was it a Jeb walk?

Heh, yeah, I guess so.  :lmao:

Anyways, ZR continues, but we're edging up temperature-wise (30 now).  Latent heat release might be doing its thing as we're averaging close to 0.15"/hour of freezing rain over the last two hours, which is pretty heavy stuff (would be over 1"/hr snowfall rates if it were snow).

KGSO has gotten over four-tenths of an inch of QPF since the freezing rain started in earnest this evening.  I am not sure if how much of it has accrued, especially given the heavy rates, but that is pretty impressive, and way above the forecast.  There's definitely some solid icicles on the branches.  Looks like the airport held at 30 from the 7 to 8 PM observations.  We look to hit freezing around midnight, give or take a couple hours.

Archived