• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Valentine's Day Storm Obs

NCSNOW

The road has basically melted off here now, despite temperatures in the low 20s. Fab Feb sun angle...

Looks like radar is beginning to fire south of here again, so we may get in on some additional IP/ZR soon.

I've lost very little snow on the grass and trees since last night, but my driveway is almost clear and my road only has one quarter of what stuck yesterday.

That's one reason I don't mind a little sleet mixing as a top layer sometimes.  Seems to stick around longer.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps getting ready for launch. This one will quickly be a memory for anyone south of NY. I fully expect my flight to Philly tomorrow will be delayed due to heavy rain and thunderstorms.

I truly dont believe folks in GA and SC have much to worry about this afternoon. Already up 5 degrees from this morning across the Triad.

Moderate Freezing Rain now up here at the Greensboro airport. PTI 

Enjoy what you have today wherever you are, cause this very well could be it for the season outside the mtns. Next weeks storm has more going against it than for it. 3 days latter its March 1st and kind of in a wash rinse repeat with no blocking and fast flow to our north. Even will be suprised to see the mtns get anything other than some backside NWFS.

I've lost very little snow on the grass and trees since last night, but my driveway is almost clear and my road only has one quarter of what stuck yesterday.

That's one reason I don't mind a little sleet mixing as a top layer sometimes.  Seems to stick around longer.

Yeah, our grassy accumulations are fine, as well. Just the roads. Sleet definitely does a better job staying on the roads, usually. The January storm stuck the the untreated roads for days and it wasn't even cold after that one. We actually had a plow come through our neighborhood, which is unusual since it usually melts off before that's necessary with the storms we get.

Temps getting ready for launch. This one will quickly be a memory for anyone south of NY. I fully expect my flight to Philly tomorrow will be delayed due to heavy rain and thunderstorms.

I truly dont believe folks in GA and SC have much to worry about this afternoon. Already up 5 degrees from this morning across the Triad.

There is a possibility that this wedge will collapse rather than erode. It doesn't happen often but I have seen it occur a few times over the years if the SW flow is strong enough.  The cold air get thinner and thinner until poof it's gone and a large area sees the temperatures take a quick rise all at once.

Yeah, our grassy accumulations are fine, as well. Just the roads. Sleet definitely does a better job staying on the roads, usually. The January storm stuck the the untreated roads for days and it wasn't even cold after that one. We actually had a plow come through our neighborhood, which is unusual since it usually melts off before that's necessary with the storms we get.

Before yesterday, there were still some big piles of frozen stuff in the parking lots at Friendly Center left over from January.

There is a possibility that this wedge will collapse rather than erode. It doesn't happen often but I have seen it occur a few times over the years if the SW flow is strong enough.  The cold air get thinner and thinner until poof it's gone and a large area sees the temperatures take a quick rise all at once.

Look in the Disco thread but there is a still a high in Virginia with winds coming into Greenville at 10 MPH from NE. 

Before yesterday, there were still some big piles of frozen stuff in the parking lots at Friendly Center left over from January.

Yeah, there's some big piles left around the Coliseum, as well. I even have a small pile left next to my driveway from plowing it. The week of 60s and high dew points with rain really hurt them, but there's been very little melting for the last week or two.

After sitting on 24º for over 24 hours, I have moved up to 27º in the last hour.  Amazingly still absolutely nothing has fallen.  Took my wife to work this am.  Three miles north on 85 and the ground is white.

Well what do you know, I am getting some freezing rain.  Looking at the radar, it could last for...........minutes.  :)

Thats sorta what looks to be happening, look at the SPC websites page for 925 mb temps and use the yellow bar top right to loop it, the 925's really jumped west the last few hrs

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17#

850s are even worse with the 4c line surging hundreds of miles north in the last few hrs....from south of Columbia SC to near the VA border in west central NC...in 4 hrs

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17#

Man I wish there was still precip around 850's still around -1/-2 around here. Haven't seen freezing rain in a good while kinda hoping to see what this thing can do later. Do you guys feel the radar is going to fill back in or are we going to have to wait for the main precip way back in Alabama, etc..?

Still holding at 28 degrees. No precipitation.

Thankful for the 2" of snow last night because today has been dry. So far anyway.

Yeah, this would've been an epic failure without our bit of luck last night. As is, we basically met or exceeded our forecast, but it didn't go down as expected.

Looks like DC and the MA are overperforming, of course, LOL.

Archived