Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 15-17 Winter Storm like the 70's

ChescoWx

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will really be like the storms in the 70's and 80's....... before this generation - we almost never saw a snow over 10" - heck I never saw a storm over 6" until I was 14 years old (Jan '78) in NE Philly. I remember listening to Elliott Abrams with accuweather on KYW saying....for every hour the change to rain is delayed add another inch of snow....I think this one will be like that - that being said I think an inch in Philly to maybe 2 or 3" in the NW burbs and then a quick transition to rain with temps getting into the low 40's here in the NW burbs

Well we are with a few days of this one starting so thought we should start the thread. In looking at this storm it really has the look of the type of storms I used to see when I was a kid in the 1970's on the back end of major arctic air masses. A storm that comes up the coast and hugs or moves just inland. With a major thump of snow on the front end and snow to rain from SE to NW but a real battle ground the further N and W one travels. Should be interesting to track!

Didn't we have some storms like this in January 1994?  Practically every storm that winter was a battle ground across our area.  I remember the nastiest 13~15" storm around mid Jan. 94'.  About 8-9" of snow, heavy freezing rain, 5" of snow on top of that, followed by the coldest air mass of my lifetime.  (or darn close....)  It was 10F the morning after the storm, and I do not believe the temp rose during the day, because when I got home around 7PM it was -6F already....bottomed out around -18F the next morning.  All of that ice was stuck on the road for a week!

You know the outcome of the 18z GFS is bad when there is no mention of it in the NYC forum lol. So NAM vs the field? 

seems like craziness how the models are painting completely different pictures (for like a week now) and still no agreements ....2 days beforehand. 

feels like the 70's in terms of not knowing whats about to happen. 

with the amount of cold that's going to be in place...I can't imagine a GFS / Euro scenario verifying. 

Hi Darth

Yes but a much different situation....lots of snow/ice on the ground and the cold was not moving away...here in Chester County that was the only time in January 1994 where the temp failed to get above zero in the entire database from 1894 to Present.

Didn't we have some storms like this in January 1994?  Practically every storm that winter was a battle ground across our area.  I remember the nastiest 13~15" storm around mid Jan. 94'.  About 8-9" of snow, heavy freezing rain, 5" of snow on top of that, followed by the coldest air mass of my lifetime.  (or darn close....)  It was 10F the morning after the storm, and I do not believe the temp rose during the day, because when I got home around 7PM it was -6F already....bottomed out around -18F the next morning.  All of that ice was stuck on the road for a week!

with the amount of cold that's going to be in place...I can't imagine a GFS / Euro scenario verifying.

Growing up in the Lehigh Valley I've seen more than one occasion where it was single digits in the morning and raining and pushing 40 by afternoon, so I wouldn't outright dismiss the Euro/GFS scenario.

Ah, yes. We called that "Martin Luther King, Jr. Week" in high school.

This will really be like the storms in the 70's and 80's....... before this generation - we almost never saw a snow over 10" - heck I never saw a storm over 6" until I was 14 years old (Jan '78) in NE Philly. I remember listening to Elliott Abrams with accuweather on KYW saying....for every hour the change to rain is delayed add another inch of snow....I think this one will be like that - that being said I think an inch in Philly to maybe 2 or 3" in the NW burbs and then a quick transition to rain with temps getting into the low 40's here in the NW burbs

I spent the first 50 years of my life in Delaware County..... pining for the excesses of the fabled "Northern and Western Suburbs" while watching the slush wash away in torrents.... only to move to the southern extremes of the Lehigh valley five years ago  to watch Upper Darby become Ground zero for snow multiple times....karma I spose...

I spent the first 50 years of my life in Delaware County..... pining for the excesses of the fabled "Northern and Western Suburbs" while watching the slush wash away in torrents.... only to move to the southern extremes of the Lehigh valley five years ago to watch Upper Darby become Ground zero for snow multiple times....karma I spose...

Mr Cantore??

I spent the first 50 years of my life in Delaware County..... pining for the excesses of the fabled "Northern and Western Suburbs" while watching the slush wash away in torrents.... only to move to the southern extremes of the Lehigh valley five years ago  to watch Upper Darby become Ground zero for snow multiple times....karma I spose...

Even worse warm season severe also now concentrates down there

I spent the first 50 years of my life in Delaware County..... pining for the excesses of the fabled "Northern and Western Suburbs" while watching the slush wash away in torrents.... only to move to the southern extremes of the Lehigh valley five years ago to watch Upper Darby become Ground zero for snow multiple times....karma I spose...

Yes Delaware County is many times the battle ground espeacially at the chester county delco line....case in point Media right now has a trace of snow on the Ground western Chads Ford and right before Kennet Square lucky ones had snow blowing across Baltimore Pike and 3-4" of snow still with 3 foot snow drifts in the fields they must have scored pretty good there Medenhall Pa to Longwood Gardens during the inverted trough event.

with ocean temps in the low to mid 30's...along with this enormous cold in place.  I feel there'll certainly be a cooling trend with 12z and 0z.runs.  A more SE track of the low as well. 

There's just no way these temps are just gonna flop upwards like nothing...like models are currently showing.  I'm even doubting how much of that SSE flow will even verify. 

with ocean temps in the low to mid 30's...along with this enormous cold in place. I feel there'll certainly be a cooling trend with 12z and 0z.runs. A more SE track of the low as well.

There's just no way these temps are just gonna flop upwards like nothing...like models are currently showing. I'm even doubting how much of that SSE flow will even verify.

I've seen storms start in the morning (8am) with temps around 6F then be pushing low 40s by 2PM....in Feb about 12 years ago (among other times). A gale SE wind will hurt ya every time. It is very certainly possible even if it doesn't seem like it. GFS has another decent Day 10 setup....should we start tracking it? ;-)

I've seen storms start in the morning (8am) with temps around 6F then be pushing low 40s by 2PM....in Feb about 12 years ago (among other times). A gale SE wind will hurt ya every time. It is very certainly possible even if it doesn't seem like it. GFS has another decent Day 10 setup....should we start tracking it? ;-)

YES

I've seen storms start in the morning (8am) with temps around 6F then be pushing low 40s by 2PM....in Feb about 12 years ago (among other times).

I posted about this yesterday. It happened a few times when I lived in the Lehigh Valley. Sometimes we'd get some snow first, or even nothing at all until it warmed up, but one time it started out as pure freezing rain at +9 around 7am, and by afternoon it was well into the 40's.

Comes down to a SE wind fetch off the gulf stream it will always warm us, all those times we hold the cold and stay below freezing some form of unexpected weak low pressure pops off the coast and keeps the winds ENE or NE. 

Archived