joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-17 Winter Storm like the 70's

ChescoWx

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an odd note on the 12k nam.  I don't know if other sites maps show the same, but TT has the last 9 runs valid for 12z Sunday with a high pressure in the EXACT same spot near Buffalo.  This isn't the meteorological equivalent of "exact same spot", it literally hasn't moved since the first run it appeared.  Cycle through the previous runs and it's down right strange.

Just an odd note on the 12k nam.  I don't know if other sites maps show the same, but TT has the last 9 runs valid for 12z Sunday with a high pressure in the EXACT same spot near Buffalo.  This isn't the meteorological equivalent of "exact same spot", it literally hasn't moved since the first run it appeared.  Cycle through the previous runs and it's down right strange.

Looks like it's all NAM there.  

post-10347-0-50715400-1455337008_thumb.p

post-10347-0-29435400-1455337018_thumb.p

It's been very consistent east and snowy vs consistent euro/ukmet west and rainy!!

Who'll win??!!

I know the CRAS model sucks but it does have its uses. For example, 99% of the time the CRAS will overdevelop slp and really wrap it up. This storm should be no exception with what appears to be an amplifying trof coming East. However, the CRAS has consistently led the camp with regards to a weaker, less amped, and snowier scenario for DC-NYC. At 0Z it really went weak and now appears like a fropa with a weak wave or two riding along it. Imo this is a big red flag. Its likely not correct verbatim, but as I stated, it has it's applications and not having an overamped system on this particular model should make the weaker scenario at least hold some water.

Fwiw, the Euro looks like it came in less amped, a bit weaker, and nudged South and East with the slp. Not sure about specifics as I haven't been in any other subforums yet this morning.

I'm still in Florida and haven't really looked at the models, just wanted to add when we have an Arctic air mass like this, the low level cold is pretty stubborn to leave and is modeled very poorly leading up to the event. especially if the storm track becomes more favorable. I would not rule a pretty significant ice event out even for the city at this time.

I actually think ice storms are very hard to come by....and this set up does not really look that way to me. The high is getting out of the way and only east track would keep it somewhat colder...if the rain is heavy enough it will bring down the warmer air from above the surface. I will not be surprised to see us be 40+ degrees warmer within 12 hours of precip onset

My fingers are crossed for the NAM... :weenie:

This would be wet heavy snow w/ freezing rain, right? what kind of wind is expected along with this NAM run? (Not sure how to find surface winds for a specific location)

Not a windy storm inland normal 10-20mph gusty for the coast

I doubt freezing rain is an issue the cold gets scoured quick on every piece of guidance except this lone NAM run 

Archived