SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The system was fun to track. Trying to gauge the strength of the wedge was at times the only item of interest for me. It did not stack up with pervious winter systems in which the predominant P-type was Freezing rain.

However, the thunderstorm that rolled in around midnight was awesome! 

For you people in the CAD areas: How does this ice storm rank among the all time great ice storms youve experienced ? By the sounds of it, it must have been one heck of a storm. Thunder ice ? Pretty incredible.

For you people in the CAD areas: How does this ice storm rank among the all time great ice storms youve experienced ? By the sounds of it, it must have been one heck of a storm. Thunder ice ? Pretty incredible.

It wasn't bad at all. The problem was more to do with black ice. Other than the cars, there was no real evidence that there was ice. But there was a thin layer of unexpected ice all over the place. Literally, you could be driving as if you driving in the rain, then all the sudden hit a patch of ice.  So, the accidents were from careless driving, unaware of the black ice.

The fatality was sad. There was a bad stretch in I-385 near the downtown airport. A car had a minor accident that was being taken care of by an officer. Another car drives, unaware of the black ice. Hits the ice, loses control, hit the officer's car. There were two men from the accident being taken care of by the officer, who were sitting on a concrete barrier. The car that hit the officer car, caused them to fall backwards off the barrier wall, killing one of them.

There was another fatality.....a teen driver who lost control of his car on black ice.

Definitely #1 in the northern cad zone because these areas are more prone to see 1-2 feet of snow in these setups than major ice. This is the most ice I have ever witnessed. 0.3" on the trees and near or over half an inch of ice on my car and the ground. Thunderstorms were a bonus with little flooding. 

I can understand the southern CAD zone rating it low. They witness these more frequently.

Lost power at 530.  It stopped raining about 630 and it is a good thing.  I could stand on my porch and limbs were falling every minute at least.  Temp was still 31 at that point.  if we would have gotten any more, it would have been really bad around here.  Many trees down on the side of the interstate so it was pretty bad as it was. 

The colder models that held the wedge did a good job but even the coldest ones had us above freezing by 12z and we were not.  Glad the rain came down hard and likely did not accumulate as much as it could have.  Also glad we maintained some sleet for a good bit of the evening.  Otherwise, it would have been lights out for a lot more people.

Archived