Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will only wetbulb down a couple degrees but anything that falls into a sfc temp of 24° would be a flash freeze pretty much. So once the precip reaches sfc things will get bad very quick!

My DP has gone from -1 to 18 and my temp from 28 to 30, with precip closing in. So much for a wetbulb?

exciting (sarcasm) here - 27 with light drizzle.  radar is not that impressive for ga, at least.  everything that keeps moving into nw ga seems to be sliding to the ne.  the heavier stuff is still well in alabama so at this point WAA may win out before the precip finally arrives imby :axe:

Latest 4k NAM has you below freezing all the way past 11pm tonight.  Hmmm....better hope that is not correct.

I prefer to call them survivors of the massacre taking place 5000ft in the air. #savetheflakes #flurriesarereal #iwanttobelieve

Especially surprising given the profiles in RDU, must be snowing really hard or the flakes huge to survive to the surface here is 925 and 850.....the wedged in areas to the west will obviously hold out longer but once the rain gets going it will warm everyone up quick.....

Enjoy it while PType is snow. Chang over to non snow is rapidly approaching. :(

Yea I figured no complaints though with how hard it has snowed this morning! Ready for some ice later! Radar looking impressive down south. Tornado watches in Louisiana. Could be very interesting in a bad way here later.

To give you guys a idea of how far west the low is suppose to go this is the forecast for my grandmother who lives in western Mass and is currently coming off a low last night of -15....crazy how much warm air floods up the east coast.

Washington's Birthday
A chance of snow, mainly after 5pm. Cloudy, with a high near 25. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Tonight
Snow, possibly mixed with sleet before 9pm, then freezing rain, possibly mixed with sleet between 9pm and 11pm, then freezing rain after 11pm. Areas of fog after 9pm. Temperature rising to around 32 by 5am. East wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Tuesday
Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Areas of fog. High near 54. South wind 8 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible

Latest 4k NAM has you below freezing all the way past 11pm tonight.  Hmmm....better hope that is not correct.

well that is interesting, but the way this winter has gone i am not expecting that.  since it warms up afterwards and would wash water freezes away i wouldnt mind at least some frozen precip since its now mid feb lol

Yeah, I don't think any model had GSP that cold.

No it didn't! I'm a bit concerned because I am at work and not at home where I like to be when roads are icy. It is raining lightly here. Fraining. 

I know light glaze of ice was forecasted for this time of day - It just made me nervous. Sorry for the banter! Mods please delete if you feel necessary. 

Congrats! You win every time!

How soon are you projected to change over, and do your soundings ever flip to plain rain?

Honestly I haven't even checked because I've been so amazed by the rates from this morning but I know there were reports of ZR in southside as of 1000 so it's gotta be close now. There are a bunch of yellows and oranges on the radar signifying to me that sleet is around at least but right now it's mod to heavy snow still.

Thanks Matt. I'm assuming this is due to the lack of precip (no rates to quickly saturate the column and bring temps down)?

Correct. Due to lack of rates, you're getting less evaporational cooling and more gradual moistening of the air mass.

WYFF just posted on Facebook that the mets in the studio are getting more concerned about this storm.

I'm sure Dale Gilbert , is all bent out of shape! JC and CJ , left the door open and said they didn't expect much to happen today, last night, and said it would be rain by 5pm and 1/10 of an inch of glaze was possible, but if temps didnt warm , it could go from nuisance event to a major event!

Archived