• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

Hmmmm. 18z GFS stronger with wedge than 12z run -- help me out, but isn't a main difference here speed? Looks like the Canadian models get the big precip in sooner -- locking in the wedge, while the GFS, for example, doesn't get the bulk of precip into the CLT area until 9z Tuesday.

yep...

it sure looks realistic to see the heart of the wedge in western north carolina to go from the low to mid 20s at 12z jump 10 degrees to 33 by 0z and then 51 by 06...with the low traveling on the south side of the wedge (or some sort of reflection).  Regardless, BullsH8t.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dewpoints here in GA NE of ATL are running 5-10 degrees below forecast based on latest MOS for GFS & NAM; this will be interesting to watch as time goes on.  The lowest DP for Gainesville for the next 24 hours was supposed to around 7 or 8; already -3 and that's on NW winds.  Athens 7 or 8 and they're down to 1.

The 4KM nam won't back down from this Atlantic moisture streaming in.  It's getting close to doing something more ominous off the coast we won't speak of (right now) with a wedge firmly in place down into SC.  

I don't know what to think right now with it.  The RGEM is colder.  At least school is out around here Monday morning, in case.

How many times has Chris justice been wrong. If I had a nickel....

All hecwas basically saying on FB was about the models almost always underestimates the CAD and the wedge could hold longer into the upstate causing a possible big ice storm. Pretty much what most on here thinks. But I agree he is wrong more than right!

The 4KM nam won't back down from this Atlantic moisture streaming in.  It's getting close to doing something more ominous off the coast we won't speak of (right now) with a wedge firmly in place down into SC.  

I don't know what to think right now with it.  The RGEM is colder.  At least school is out around here Monday morning, in case.

Our dewpoints are already approaching 0...

This is the obs thread ;)

Well ok then! Guess I missed the board memo that said we would have obs and discussion combined. So in that case, it's really cold, and my fireplace is about to become warm. :-)

Watched Brad P's video. Seems to me we want to watch the pace of the high exiting moreso than the track of the low. Thoughts?

Can someone answer this, GSP has upstate under WSW with up to 1" of snow/sleet and a Trace of ice. How in the world does that meet watch or warning criteria??

A watch implies at least 50% confidence (not likely) and the goal posts are generally set wide with a watch. 

WxSouth Facebook update around an hour ago, FWIW:

https://www.facebook.com/WxSouth/

The latest thinking is that the storm arrives earlier for TN, KY and western NC, through central and western Virginia. Timing west of the mountains will be later Sunday and by night could be spreading light snow into western and central NC, and Virginia, but amounts east of the mountains will be light in that band.

By Monday, the snow in most of Tenn. is changing to rain quickly, from west to east through the day, with far north, and northeast TN remaining snow and sleet the longest. By then, moderate snows will have already occcurred along and north of 40, into much of central and southern and eastern Kentucky. And a few inches of snow will fall quickly in middle and western Virginia down to the Triad region and Foothills, mountains of NC. Most models don't produce much precipitation in extreme southern NC and most of Upstate SC and northeast Georgia region until much later on Monday. By then it's questionable where the temps will be. But any amount of freezing drizzle and sleet will create a mess on roads , even the slightest amount. 
By far the worst aspect of the storm will be the C.A.D. zones (cold air damming). That is in western Virginia, western NC, nestled next to the spine of the mountain chain. Places like Roanoke,Lynchburg, Wytheville to Hickory, Marion and Lake Lure NC are in line for Snow first, then changing to sleet, then to Freezing Rain. A mess. 
The tricky part will be Monday night overnight as a line of thunderstorms in southern Tennessee through Alabama and Georgia approaches this cold dome of air. Most models warm up the temps just in time as the heavy rain arrives. This might be too fast, and usually, it is. By then, there will have been substantial snow and ice..and it will be a waiting game to see how quickly the temperatures rise in the CAD zones. Most areas will be in the 20's all day Monday, and it will be a slow rise, so when that heavy precip arrives, it may get very rough with ice accumulating FAST in the counties next to the Spine of the Apps in VA, NC, eastern WV and possibly extreme northwest SC region, into far Northeast GA.
I won't be surprised if the heavier thunderstorms moving through TN and the mountains of NC have some thundersnow with it, briefly.

Here's the basic outline of impact regions. I hedged against too much in northern GA and Upper SC thanks to the delay in substantial precip, but as always any freezing drizzle makes roads a skating rink. And the snow burst initially may be further south than shown Monday morning.
Stay Safe and prepared.

12715804_1221571871206199_97346152189767

Just FWIW, I noticed with the last storm that the tropicaltidbits maps (for example, the 4km NAM) seem to overdo the "snow" on reflectivity. Here's the 18z run on various sites. The tropical tidbits site seems to turn any bit of precip into the white stuff in reality a lot of that is most likely virga. It looks nice, but it shouldn't be taken 100% verbatim. 

jzweKwu.png

lje4idH.png

qCdTIzp.png

Subtle improvements with the 18z GEFS.  Colder surface temps and the HP hangs on a tick longer and stronger.  Looks like there will be a spread with the low placements on the individual members with some that will probably be further south.  The mean low tracks straight across I-40 (not happening).  This frame is after everything is above freezing.  You can see the mean 1004mb low pressure around DC. However, look at all of the precip that is off the NC coast around Wilmington.  This has increased significantly over the 12z run.  This indicates that there has to be some of the members with a low there.  Interesting anyway.

ls22mgn.png

Just FWIW, I noticed with the last storm that the tropicaltidbits maps (for example, the 4km NAM) seem to overdo the "snow" on reflectivity. Here's the 18z run on various sites. The tropical tidbits site seems to turn any bit of precip into the white stuff in reality a lot of that is most likely virga. It looks nice, but it shouldn't be taken 100% verbatim. 

Really good observation, Jon.  I hadn't noticed that before, but I now see the big difference between the sites.  Thanks for pointing this out.

What time does the 12z euro para run? Any updates. I know that some of its runs have been flatter than the regular Euro over the past few runs.

It's out now.  It's practically the same as the operational 12z Euro.

The 18z French Fries looks pretty juicy for the CAD regions and it's pretty cold.

You can view it here: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpegee_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2&carte=2

Archived