SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the lows that were projected to be last night were any indication, the cold is not nearly as strong as progged. Our low was forecast to be 19 and it was 26 so it busted pretty bad. Edited to add that this is either not as cold of air as predicted OR it is a little late coming in.

Winds were howling last night pretty good. Didn't get the max radiation cooling . To much mixing

how quickly are the various models moving the high off the coast in the NE?  Is that timing basically the same for all of them?  Is the GGEM slow thus the reason for the colder solution or are they all variations of in situ CAD?

I can go and look myself, just wondered if anyone has evaluated it already.

how quickly are the various models moving the high off the coast in the NE? Is that timing basically the same for all of them? Is the GGEM slow thus the reason for the colder solution or are they all variations of in situ CAD?

6z GFS , held it onshore a little longer

how quickly are the various models moving the high off the coast in the NE?  Is that timing basically the same for all of them?  Is the GGEM slow thus the reason for the colder solution or are they all variations of in situ CAD?

Here is the 06Z Nam run to give you a idea how fast the high scoots out....

here it is almost in a perfect spot for the SE

and then next frame it is way east 

how quickly are the various models moving the high off the coast in the NE? Is that timing basically the same for all of them? Is the GGEM slow thus the reason for the colder solution or are they all variations of in situ CAD?

the biggest difference I see in the cmc is it digs are wave slightly farther south than the other models. So you get a surface reflection in southern Alabama instead of northern Alabama.

Would love to know Matt East's thoughts as I trust him, certainly a lot more than Robert or JB

He's been on this storm since 2/1 and has not changed his forecast at all even with the lack of model consistency. I assume nothing has changed for him. Would love to hear his thoughts as well. My favorite local met by far and appreciate his free videos and post here..

so as of now the GGEM stands basically alone with the extreme cold. It keeps the wedge firmly locked in well into Tuesday for the Upstate and NE Ga (upper to 20's to boot) GFS has taken a baby step to a colder, wetter solution. I can say one thing the Canadian has been rock solid in it's solution. Seems to be getting more extreme each run. I hope it is wrong at least regarding QPF.

It's not alone. Have u seen the rgem? The best cad model out there?

For RDU/wake county folks, just an idea of how far off the NAM and GFS are on temps at onset of heaviest precip we get from the system. This is for RDU airport.

I'm not touching this storm until later tonight or tomorrow, see everyone then.

4lS5moV.png

He's been on this storm since 2/1 and has not changed his forecast at all even with the lack of model consistency. I assume nothing has changed for him. Would love to hear his thoughts as well. My favorite local met by far and appreciate his free videos and post here..

He'll chime in sometime today!

6z GFS , held it onshore a little longer

Here is the 06Z Nam run to give you a idea how fast the high scoots out....

here it is almost in a perfect spot for the SE

and then next frame it is way east 

the biggest difference I see in the cmc is it digs are wave slightly farther south than the other models. So you get a surface reflection in southern Alabama instead of northern Alabama.

thanks guys

Man that high is booking.  huge difference in location in just 3 hours.

There just seems to be so much difference in 2M temps between the cmc and all of the others.  So Franklin, you think it is mostly attributed to the location of the low?  Which would imply if the other models started to trend south, we could expect temps similar to what the CMC is advertising?

thanks guys

Man that high is booking. huge difference in location in just 3 hours.

There just seems to be so much difference in 2M temps between the cmc and all of the others. So Franklin, you think it is mostly attributed to the location of the low? Which would imply if the other models started to trend south, we could expect temps similar to what the CMC is advertising?

yes, the farther south the low, the less waa.

NAM soundings say it's just about ready to snow at HKY by 7PM tomorrow night.

Thats the key rally, need the over running to crank up sooner, you get precip falling into a air mass like that and it will lock it in especially out that way. Need this to not be a strong low and just keep everything moving east...not gonna happen though and we waste the best air mass of the year so far.

Love how the high is perfectly ridged in for solid hit and then the heights jump up and the ridging shifts offshore and its see ya later cold air.....one has to wonder how much that would change if any if there was a lot of precip into the colder air earlier

perfect

ugh

Archived