• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

Looks like the primary low is still in GA to me.  Not sure I see a cutter on the 00z NAM.

Looks like a prolonged light/moderate SN to IP to ZR event for CADland going over to rain as the heaviest precip comes in at the end, but just barely.  The low cuts through NC and the wedge scours out to some degree (verbatim like 33/RN).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the primary low is still in GA to me.  Not sure I see a cutter on the 00z NAM.

Looks like a prolonged light/moderate SN to IP to ZR event for CADland going over to rain as the heaviest precip comes in at the end, but just barely.  The low cuts through NC and the wedge scours out to some degree (verbatim like 33/RN).

Agreed, I don't see a bad ice storm, but with roads as cold as they are it could be a skating rink with 0.25" precip, about 0.4" towards your area.  That will be the only saving grace, with the SLP track we dry slot and warm up and then washout.

Seems like the surface maps are painting the surface LP in difference places depending on the source (NCEP, AmericanWx, etc.).  The surface lows are all weak, so it's hard to differentiate them.  This is the hr 72 panel from the AmericanWx model center.

There appears to be two SLP's, one up in WVA and another down central SC.  I guess that's why it looks like a front at this time.

namconus_mslpa_us_25.png

if you take the 00Z NAM at face value for GSP.....it looks to be as close as you can get to a nasty ice storm.  Just above freezing at hr 84 when the heaviest QPF (0.5 inches) comes through.  Would not take much for a 1 or 2 degree bust with this one.

and considering the 4k NAM is ~ 2 degrees colder in most CAD locations when it ends @ hr 60, than the 32 and 12k are.

if you take the 00Z NAM at face value for GSP.....it looks to be as close as you can get to a nasty ice storm. Just above freezing at hr 84 when the heaviest QPF (0.5 inches) comes through. Would not take much for a 1 or 2 degree bust with this one.

And we all know that 99% of the time it verifies colder than what is being modeled. So I85 corridor could get very ugly! I don't want an ice storm but in this case I think we have to prepare for the worse even if it turns out dry.

if you take the 00Z NAM at face value for GSP.....it looks to be as close as you can get to a nasty ice storm.  Just above freezing at hr 84 when the heaviest QPF (0.5 inches) comes through.  Would not take much for a 1 or 2 degree bust with this one.

The ARPEGE model has been showing that heavy band frozen for that area.

Seems to me that short-term temp/DP verification is going to be telling here. Surely it's not a coincidence that that models showing coldest/driest air at 48 hours (new RGEM/Canadian) are also showing the low bouncing around the wedge. If you toggle the 0z RGEM and 0z NAM at 48 hours, the 2m temp differences are amazing -- RGEM is 3-4 degrees colder and has almost all of S.C. subfreezing, save for far southern corner, while NAM only has NE half of state subfreezing. I'd bet a cold beer that the 24-36 hour temp/DP verification winner will also have the most accurate storm track. 

Check this out for GSO and Winston.  Never gets above 32 on the 3 hour readings in GSO.  Hit's 33 at INT..  hmmmmmmm

GSO - http://68.226.77.253/text/NAMSFC/NAM_kgso.txt

INT - http://68.226.77.253/text/NAMSFC/NAM_kint.txt

TW

Burlington is similar to GSO for max temps.  Even has a thunder sleet sighting...

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAMSFC/NAM_kbuy.txt

Archived