• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

Most of the tracks I see for the low are WELL inland now....  I don't think that works and I think the cold gets scoured out quickly with those tracks.  I think the Canadian is the still the furthest south and that needs to be the right one if this is going to be a true I-85 winter storm or close to it.  I don't like the trend of everything shifting northwest.  

Very surprised to see this in the paper this morning.....NWS is going all in, I'm not sure what they're seeing in the models though at this point.  Certainly hope they're right.  5 inches at CLT?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article59730976.html

Wife asked me about that earlier and I replied that chances of that happening were low and that it was an aggressive call

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no cold air left by then with the high way off the coast. With that strong a short wave having a low go that far north in this case is no problem at all.

whay about the front end frontal precip? All the models have it with temps plenty cold. Even if the storm winds up cutting

At 96 hrs, it looks like the Ukmet is just a broad trough with no backside kicker like the gfs. It would imply a better front end thump with no wound up storm on the back end

Did the Ukie and GFS switch places from two days ago or am I just dreaming? Talk about a mess with the models right now.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA

958 AM EST THU FEB 11 2016

SURRY-STOKES-ROCKINGHAM-CASWELL-WILKES-YADKIN-

958 AM EST THU FEB 11 2016

THERE IS AN INCREASING THREAT FOR A WINTER STORM IN THE SUNDAY

NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY PERIOD.

not if the Gfs is right.

I am not "cliff diving" yet, just pointing out the obvious that the overall trends in all models have been generally warmer the past 3 days. The Euro a couple of days ago had 2" of snow even close to me, now no model has snow here, and they have even backed off on the ice. I am reserving judgement totally until a few more models come in but at least for north GA the chance of anything but rain is small IMO.

At 96 hrs, it looks like the Ukmet is just a broad trough with no backside kicker like the gfs. It would imply a better front end thump with no wound up storm on the back end

Sfc low on UKMet at 120 is in NE NC / SE VA.  Terrible performance by the UKMet with this storm in terms of how much it has changed

whay about the front end frontal precip? All the models have it with temps plenty cold. Even if the storm winds up cutting

Problem I see with that is the front end being light instead of a good thump.  Need a more south solution overall to improve the front side precip

It really is a shame to waste the best pre-conditions for a winter storm that we have seen all winter.  Almost the perfect setup for a major SE winter storm.  Unfortunately, with no -NAO, it's another swing and a miss.  It is increasingly apparent that the thread will have missed the eye of the needle once again.

It really is a shame to waste the best pre-conditions for a winter storm that we have seen all winter.  Almost the perfect setup for a major SE winter storm.  Unfortunately, with no -NAO, it's another swing and a miss.  It is increasingly apparent that the thread will have missed the eye of the needle once again.

I blame it on that damn Bloo Q Kazoo!!!!  It has always been bad luck!!!   :fulltilt:

I'm just kidding lilj!  :)  :)

Precip onset could still be close to 100 hours away. Still plenty of time.

Really don't understand all the cliff diving this early. For some of these models to verify we would have to see a temperature swing of 25+ degrees with cloud cover! Not happening.

Really don't understand all the cliff diving this early. For some of these models to verify we would have to see a temperature swing of 25+ degrees with cloud cover! Not happening.

That's assuming we actually go as low as the models predict.  We might not.

It's what Cold Rain just alluded to. With a persistent +NAO, we have nothing to keep the high pressure from scooting out into the Atlantic.

Winter storms in the south are a lot like football in the south. You can't score without good blocking! Unfortunately, we have had some talented players over the last couple years (cold air and storms). But, because we can't block for them, we don't score.

I really, really hope you get to say, "I told you so" soon. I just wouldn't bet on it. :) The trends are pretty undeniable. I feel like our best hope now is that everything speeds back up a bit, but I'm not sure how much good even that would do.

It's been 17 degrees at my house in the morning before and raining by lunchtime. WAA is tough and storm track is king, PERIOD! I'm not saying that the GFS track from that one model run is going to be right though. I hope it's not. It is just one model run and we have several more to go.

I'm not cliff diving.  I just don't like the trends for this event.  Maybe it'll come back.  We've seen it before.  But, the high scooting out quickly, along with a more amped system lessens the chance for a major event.  Unless I see a reason that this system is going to come in more quickly than currently modeled, more south than currently modeled, weaker than currently modeled, and the high staying put longer than currently modeled, I have to think less impact.  And that is fine with me.  I have had enough ice for one winter.

Winter storms in the south are a lot like football in the south. You can't score without good blocking! Unfortunately, we have had some talented players over the last couple years (cold air and storms). But, because we can't block for them, we don't score.

Haha that is true.  You don't score until you score!

Archived