• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Possible 2/16 storm threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

Is it possible we're seeing some actual climate shift, resulting in things like the I-95 cities all seeing 5-7 of their top 10 snowfalls over the past 20 years vs. 125+ years of records (saw an article on this last week, but don't recall where)?  Sure it's possible, but it's also possible we're seeing the equivalent of flipping heads 4-5 times in a row - unexpected, sure, but not indicative of any actual change in probability, just a short term statistical blip that looks "relevant" since our record is very short from a statistical perspective.  Ask me in 1000 years, lol.  

Long Island itself was formed by a dump of glacier junk, so sure, these things happen. I would assume not so suddenly though (over a decade). Imagine a rain/snow line defined by a 2000+ foot tall glacier. :lol:

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is snow to rain to snow. 2-4 for NYC then a lot of rain. Inland areas get smoked.

i honestly doubt we get rain like that after such a cold airmass. We could definitely get an ice storm but but I doubt it's a rain event like that. Plus if this doesn't cut where's the warm air coming from. GFS always sucks at dynamic cooling and this will be a strong system. If it cuts obviously it'll end up being snow to heavy rain but I just don't buy this solution. Besides that high to the north is sneaky!

i honestly doubt we get rain like that after such a cold airmass. We could definitely get an ice storm but but I doubt it's a rain event like that. Plus if this doesn't cut where's the warm air coming from. GFS always sucks at dynamic cooling and this will be a strong system. If it cuts obviously it'll end up being snow to heavy rain but I just don't buy this solution. Besides that high to the north is sneaky!

It's happened many many times. It can go from teens to 50s in a matter of hours

Had a couple of storms realigned themselves by 50-75 miles last winter, NYC would have come close. Same with 09-10. 

If anyone's really taken this last 10-15 years jackpot, it's been Boston. 

I wrote a long post on this topic some time ago; and if I can locate it I will re-post it.  The first sign something was up was during the 1992-93 winter when Boston came in with nearly 100 inches; the following winter the pattern began to work down the coast some to NYC & LI with the close to 60 inch winter.  It was sort of a start & stop thing for the rest of the 1990's...with 1995-96 being historic and the other years being nondescript; but once the new century got underway a definitive departure from what seemed to be the norm for so long was readily apparent.

06 GFS not as impressive as 00z. Even for the interior it's a trend to a hit warmer and Western track, Still a general 4-8+ north of city, 2-4" for city and immediate areas

That high over the Atlantic has a huge nose pushing in from the northeast til 130 hours that probably keeps surface winds more NE keeping the coast snow. It's sort of like what occurred during the 87 storm. This is still relatively far out but I think a track somewhere close to 95 is the end result

That high over the Atlantic has a huge nose pushing in from the northeast til 130 hours that probably keeps surface winds more NE keeping the coast snow. It's sort of like what occurred during the 87 storm. This is still relatively far out but I think a track somewhere close to 95 is the end result

Yea hopefully, GFS pushes ptype issues even up to me for a while

the trend is colder, and with near-record cold 36 hours before the event...i'd irk on at-least a slightly colder solution.

Track is still paramount , many of us began the Super Storm with Temps I low teens and never climbed above mid 2nd but storm passed over Knyc and everyone switched to the heaviest sleet I have ever witnessed.

he January 29th-30th, 1966 storm hugged the coast and tracked right over NYC...Snow changed to rain and sleet for a while as temperatures rose to 38 in the morning...As the storm moved north the winds became sw and another 3" of snow fell on the back side...7" total for the event...this could be something similar or something else...TWT...

Track is still paramount , many of us began the Super Storm with Temps I low teens and never climbed above mid 2nd but storm passed over Knyc and everyone switched to the heaviest sleet I have ever witnessed.

No one stays snow if the track is over KNYC or west of there. The further west the more mixing and liquid issues for anyone east of the track. It's still 5 days out so of course anything can happen but as currently depicted this is a no win for LI and that would be a first this season.

I will gladly take P type issues after being in the center of Shaft City this whole winter, as long as I can see a period heavy snow.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I suppose, but going from -10 Sunday morning, to heavy snow, followed, by sleet and freezing rain and finally rain on Tuesday will be another pill that's hard to swallow.

Archived