• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

Was 2/8/14 the system that disappeared inside 4 days?

Not sure it was that close to the event IIRC...but yeah, either way it was huge at like D7-8 on the ensembles...still maybe there around D5-6 and then gone around 108-120. Maybe it got closer, but I remember we were discussing the ensembles heavily and the setup was really nice.

The thing is, it was sandwiched between the Feb 5-6 and Feb 13 storms...so it didn't "feel" like a huge loss in hindsight when it disappeared.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of the slow mover isn't really just endemic to the EPS though - 

The operational runs are showing a similar deceleration tendency - tho they do it for different reasons.  However, the net appeal is a slow-ish system.   ...just fwiw...

That GGEM solution would take some 72 hours probably to completely fulfill it's impact profile.  Obviously ...none of this is deterministic at this time, but, sometimes when big events are out there in the physics of the system, they show up and stick real early.  This/that is consistent with very large intense systems going back in time.   1993 was locked and loaded by D9, ...and that was by 1993 modeling standards!

While eyewall is definitely just speaking from pure emotions at this point (betting the streak has been the winning hand lately though), I feel like we've heard a good deal of long lead times when folks have said "I think this one gets everyone" or "this is where NNE catches up" or whatever.  Not aimed at you, but even this past system some folks were convinced we were getting a snow bomb up here like 3-4 days ago.  Be curious to look at those GFS snow maps Ginxy saved a week ago and see what happened.

It has a boy who cried wolf ring to it after a while, haha (again not aimed at you or anyone in general).  Even in past couple winters the "I think its the deeper interior's time with this one" has been uttered a lot more than reality.

Though I agree with you we probably have as good a shot as any other time this season. 

That is the exact phrase i referenced when writing my blog post.

I get it.

The idea of the slow mover isn't really just endemic to the EPS though - 

The operational runs are showing a similar deceleration tendency - tho they do it for different reasons.  However, the net appeal is a slow-ish system.   ...just fwiw...

That GGEM solution would take some 72 hours probably to completely fulfill it's impact profile.  Obviously ...none of this is deterministic at this time, but, sometimes when big events are out there in the physics of the system, they show up and stick real early.  This/that is consistent with very large intense systems going back in time.   1993 was locked and loaded by D9, ...and that was by 1993 modeling standards!

This is why I felt confident that the blizzard in January would stick, though unfortunately it slipped south under the scooter streak.

Hopefully this one works out.

Archived