MOVES THROUGH DURING THE DAY MONDAY. THIS SCENARIO BRING IN BRIEF
SOUTHERLY FLOW FOR MUCH GREATER MOISTURE AND WARMER TEMPERATURES
WHICH SHOULD TRANSLATE TO THE MAIN BAND OF PRECIP MOVING THROUGH AS
RAIN THEN TRANSITIONING INTO A MIX OF WINTRY PRECIP BEFORE TURNING
TO ALL SNOW MONDAY EVENING. EITHER SCENARIO SHOULD PRODUCE
ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL BUT THE CONFIDENCE VERY LOW ON DETAILS
. BEHIND
THE SYSTEM...ANOTHER SHOT OF COLD AIR AND A FEW LINGERING SHOWERS
EXPECTED TUESDAY AND MODERATING CONDITIONS FOR WEDNESDAY.

&&

vN6biZB.gif

This is my first post I subscribed after finding this forum. I am just looking to gain some knowledge about the weather as I'm an absolute dunce when it comes to knowing anything. I can read a snowfall map and at least know what county I live in so I've got that going for me. I would like to see one more good snow in the area before winter is over with. It seems like we can get 5 or 6 inches here and there but I'd love to see about a foot sometime for my kids.....my 6 year old would love to see a really big snow. 

I am going  to leave all the model dissecting to the experts here but here is my take on it. This is not a wish cast or a Debbie Downer post. With way the setup is looking, growing up in the Chattanooga and N. GA. area I have seen this scenario many times over. I see a less robust southern track of the low, close to a Miller A. Chattanooga will be on the border of snow/freezing rain/rain at the onset. I think the cold wins out initially and Chatty gets hit with a good, sloppy, wet 3-5 inch snow before changing over to a light drizzle with temps holding at 33*. I've seen it too many times. Points north and east should do much better with cold air hanging on a little longer.

This is obviously not a forecast but seems to fit the pattern of my many years in the south. Now, no need to bash, just my thoughts.

Carry on!

This is my first post I subscribed after finding this forum. I am just looking to gain some knowledge about the weather as I'm an absolute dunce when it comes to knowing anything. I can read a snowfall map and at least know what county I live in so I've got that going for me. I would like to see one more good snow in the area before winter is over with. It seems like we can get 5 or 6 inches here and there but I'd love to see about a foot sometime for my kids.....my 6 year old would love to see a really big snow. 

Welcome to the forum!!!  :guitar:

Thanks for signing up and making your first post.  You are just down the road from several posters, living in the Tri-Cities.

We really try and follow rules (though we get off the tracks every now and again), but have a pretty laid back forum in the Tn Valley.  I would highly recommend reading the rules for our board

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Thanks again for your contribution and I hope you can learn in our forum.  We have some pretty knowledgeable individuals and a couple of really good meteorologists.  Have a GREAT afternoon!

Well, the Euro and UKMET are over the Ohio River...the Canadian, EPS, GEFS, GFS are more of an inland runner miller A. The 18z GFS was very close to the 12z Euro. It just cut east of the Apps. If it was to make the same trend at 0z, it will be the Euro solution from today...but here is 18z. We will enjoy our virtual snow while it lasts!

post-769-0-69634800-1455143565_thumb.jpg

If the Euro and it's worshipper DT is correct in lp placement, it is possible a similar outcome to last February 21st could be realized.

Virtually all models right up to even when the event was underway, had this area getting an inch or less of snow before changing to rain. Jonesville VA, reported 19" before changeover late that day! That system moved in on the heels of a strong arctic air mass. Models were several degrees too warm. 

Carver, I'm sure remembers this well.

If the Euro and it's worshipper DT is correct in lp placement, it is possible a similar outcome to last February 21st could be realized.

Virtually all models right up to even when the event was underway, had this area getting an inch or less of snow before changing to rain. Jonesville VA, reported 19" before changeover late that day! That system moved in on the heels of a strong arctic air mass. Models were several degrees too warm.

Carver, I'm sure remembers this well.

Where are my 19"? Just kidding of course. But I am always wary of entrenched cold in NE TN. Depends on the warm nose. It tends to stop somewhere between Greeneville and Gate City. When I see meso highs trying to set up west of the Apps that is telling me the leftover cold is getting dammed up against the west slopes of the Apps. Those are signals for mischief.

JB seems to like an Ohio Valley cutter which transfers to the Georgia Coast. WxSouth says even the GFS made a big jump towards the 12z Euro solution. The 18z GFS as I noted above is one more trend from heading to KY. I hold out hope for a true inland runner which is a Miller A. But today's trends were not good. And when repsected mets start to signal they like the Ohio Valley, solution...I take notice. The storm was just so far out there and still is to some extent. Not giving up yet.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised. I can recall other occasions where an arctic air mass was retreating and a system cut to our west and only got a heavy dusting before changeover. December '83 comes to mind. High of zero Christmas then the above occurred.

BTW, how much did Kingsport get from that Feb. 21 storm? You know that storm actually went west. Most of Ky was getting rain while this area got heavy snow.

Where are my 19"? Just kidding of course. But I am always wary of entrenched cold in NE TN. Depends on the warm nose. It tends to stop somewhere between Greeneville and Gate City. When I see meso highs trying to set up west of the Apps that is telling me the leftover cold is getting dammed up against the west slopes of the Apps. Those are signals for mischief.

JB seems to like an Ohio Valley cutter which transfers to the Georgia Coast. WxSouth says even the GFS made a big jump towards the 12z Euro solution. The 18z GFS as I noted above is one more trend from heading to KY. I hold out hope for a true inland runner which is a Miller A. But today's trends were not good. And when repsected mets start to signal they like the Ohio Valley, solution...I take notice. The storm was just so far out there and still is to some extent. Not giving up yet.

carver, the only thing I can think JB is talking about is the northern stream heads to Ohio from due west then the low forms down south from the backside energy on the trough. I can't ever remember seeing a storm cut to Ohio then transfer to the ga coast.

I thought the 12z Euro made a big jump back to its previous runs with a piedmont runner. Doesn't mean that's right but the Euro did move back away from the cutter.

carver, the only thing I can think JB is talking about is the northern stream heads to Ohio from due west then the low forms down south from the backside energy on the trough. I can't ever remember seeing a storm cut to Ohio then transfer to the ga coast.

I thought the 12z Euro made a big jump back to its previous runs with a piedmont runner. Doesn't mean that's right but the Euro did move back away from the cutter.

Franklin, you really need to post over here more often. I thought it seemed odd as well. The 12z Euro came very close to a Piedmont runner. I agree. The EPS low positions confirm that. Seems like the biggest issue is speed. Slower solutions cut. Quicker solutions are inland runners. JB also mentioned some anaolg storms. The one I could find was an Ohio River special.

Archived