• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

I think the last time BOS set a Feb record was 1979?

I can't find the records anymore

BOS hasn't set a Feb record low since 1967...ORH did in 1979...and technically ORH did in 2008 but they kind of cheated since it was 2/29/08...only happens every 4 years.

ORH did set a record low max in February in 2014.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-12F is the magic number at ORH...it's been very hard to get lower there.

They hit -12F in the following years:

2004 (twice), 1994, 1988, 1982, 1981...then a -13F in 1976. There was also a -13F in 1968.

But since that -13F in 1976, there's been 6 times they hit -12F...just couldn't break through it. Record low for 2/14 is -11F in 1979. So we'll at least need to make -12F to break it.

2004 (twice), 1994, 1988, 1982, 1981...then a -13F in 1976. There was also a -13F in 1968.

But since that -13F in 1976, there's been 6 times they hit -12F...just couldn't break through it. Record low for 2/14 is -11F in 1979. So we'll at least need to make -12F to break it.

how the heck were they able to get down to -19 in 1957 (1/15/57 .. although you probably already know the date lol) 

how the heck were they able to get down to -19 in 1957 (1/15/57 .. although you probably already know the date lol) 

I've always wanted to see detailed maps of that date, but haven't had much luck. The Plymouth state soundings unfortunately start in June 1957....lol. Of course it's literally 5 months later than the date we want to look at.

What were some of the SNE sites' coldest temps last winter?

What were some of the SNE sites' coldest temps last winter?

ORH hit -9F. BDL also hit -9F. BOS hit -3F and PVD hit -5F. I know some of the rad spots had a few good ones...with the very deep snowpack, it was good for the rad spots on a few nights.

Cold, but nothing spectacular like Jan 2004. We didn't truly have a signature arctic outbreak despite setting monthly cold records for average temps ...probably right after the 2/15 storm was the closest.

ORH hit -9F. BDL also hit -9F. BOS hit -3F and PVD hit -5F. I know some of the rad spots had a few good ones...with the very deep snowpack, it was good for the rad spots on a few nights.

Cold, but nothing spectacular like Jan 2004. We didn't truly have a signature arctic outbreak despite setting monthly cold records for average temps ...probably right after the 2/15 storm was the closest.

Last Feb 24 I came within less than 1 degree of Jan 2004

Yeah. It was a cheap cold. This will be remembered for the cold and wind combo

Yeah sort of cheap, lol...I mean it was still REALLY cold that airmass last February. A couple of them actually....they just didn't measure up to Jan 2004 or even quite to Jan 2011 when talking about deep layer cold and windchill to go with it. Some of those nights last year that got below zero in the rad spots didn't even have wind chill advisories with them let alone wind chill warnings.

But we did have a couple good ones.

BOS hasn't set a Feb record low since 1967...ORH did in 1979...and technically ORH did in 2008 but they kind of cheated since it was 2/29/08...only happens every 4 years.

ORH did set a record low max in February in 2014.

Farmington also set a new low for 2/29 in 2008.  However, that -20 has only been beaten on 3 mornings in March (actually 2, as I'm confident the -25s on 3/1-2/1982 occurred at 6:59 and 7:01 on the 1st), so it's still a respectable record.  Our record low Feb maximium was last year rather than 2014.  For some reason, Farmington has been breaking more cold max records than cold min.  I know that phenomenon is supposed to fit with AGW, but I did not think it would apply as much to cold maxima as to mild minima.   Case in point:  Since 2000, Farmington has set one new record low in Jan, the same day Big Black River hit -50.  During the same period they've set record low maxima on 9 days in Jan and tied for a 10th.  Four of the 10 came in 2004, two in 2014, the others in 4 different years.

The pattern seems to continue through many other months:

Record cold minima and maxima, 2000 and forward (ties included.)

FEB    1    3

MAR   3    6

APR    1    5

MAY   2    4

JUN    2    8

JUL     2    7

AUG   1    7

SEP    3    0

OCT   0    3

NOV   1    2

DEC   0    0   (Dec has not set any daily cold records since 1993.  Same is true for Nov. 5-30.)

Totals

17   55, including Jan's 1 and 10.

Hope we get a few hours of calm tomorrow night, so my place gets well down into the -20s.

Yeah sort of cheap, lol...I mean it was still REALLY cold that airmass last February. A couple of them actually....they just didn't measure up to Jan 2004 or even quite to Jan 2011 when talking about deep layer cold and windchill to go with it. Some of those nights last year that got below zero in the rad spots didn't even have wind chill advisories with them let alone wind chill warnings.

But we did have a couple good ones.

I remember numerous wind chill warnings last winter.... plenty of days of -30F to -60F wind chill days on the mountain too.

But up here we were also like -20F while BOS snowed at like 8F. 

Cold, but nothing spectacular like Jan 2004. We didn't truly have a signature arctic outbreak despite setting monthly cold records for average temps ...probably right after the 2/15 storm was the closest.

Oh wow, I'm just looking at the BTV data for comparison (we all know they aren't a radiator by any means) and their lowest was -19F.

BTV last February had 17 days with lows below zero.  Lowest temp was -19F with 8 days of negative teens though (that's the most impressive to me, 8 days of -10F to -19F).

We must've just been in a little different world up here (cold and dry), as that's really cold for BTV where the wind never goes calm haha.  Heck the average monthly low was -3F there.

Farmington also set a new low for 2/29 in 2008.  However, that -20 has only been beaten on 3 mornings in March (actually 2, as I'm confident the -25s on 3/1-2/1982 occurred at 6:59 and 7:01 on the 1st), so it's still a respectable record.  Our record low Feb maximium was last year rather than 2014.  For some reason, Farmington has been breaking more cold max records than cold min.  I know that phenomenon is supposed to fit with AGW, but I did not think it would apply as much to cold maxima as to mild minima.   Case in point:  Since 2000, Farmington has set one new record low in Jan, the same day Big Black River hit -50.  During the same period they've set record low maxima on 9 days in Jan and tied for a 10th.  Four of the 10 came in 2004, two in 2014, the others in 4 different years.

The pattern seems to continue through many other months:

Record cold minima and maxima, 2000 and forward (ties included.)

FEB    1    3

MAR   3    6

APR    1    5

MAY   2    4

JUN    2    8

JUL     2    7

AUG   1    7

SEP    3    0

OCT   0    3

NOV   1    2

DEC   0    0   (Dec has not set any daily cold records since 1993.  Same is true for Nov. 5-30.)

Totals

17   55, including Jan's 1 and 10.

Hope we get a few hours of calm tomorrow night, so my place gets well down into the -20s.

ORH has been the same way...we've set a lot of cold max records since 2000 but very few min. Esp months of Oct/Nov...ORH has set 13 low max records in those two months since 2000.

At any rate, ironically, I don't think we'll set any record low maxes in this outbreak due to timing, but record low is a legit possibility.

Archived