• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

Someone planning a pond hockey tourney should know they are at the risk of the elements plus late February is a bit late in the year.

Even then, this is a Weather forum, not a Winter sports forum.

While it sucks for those folks who were looking forward to Ice Hockey on the pond, it's not something that a person whose primary focus is storm tracking would be worried about. 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even then, this is a Weather forum, not a Winter sports forum.

While it sucks for those folks who were looking forward to Ice Hockey on the pond, it's not something that a person whose primary focus is storm tracking would be worried about. 

It's an off topic banter thread. I could make a comment about low flush rate toilets in this thread and it would be perfectly on-topic.

i thought the post was fine, jonger

The tournament is fun to hang out at. My skating skills would need to be freshened up before I'd even consider playing.

It should be the first week of February though, I'm not sure the people running it realize the average temp has been rising for 3 weeks now.

Measurable snowfalls have been so infrequent I can actually itemize them in a short list...

Nov 20-21   8.5

Dec 2           0.5

Dec 28         0.5

Dec 30         0.3

Jan 9            0.8

Jan 11          0.2

Jan 12          0.6

Jan 19-20    1.6

Feb 8            0.2

Feb 9            0.4

Feb 14          2.4

Total            16.0   

Looks like we're heading towards an F- afterall unless March delivers something special.  The severe weather in Nov and Dec was cool, and helped to add interest to the season, and the high wind event the other day did as well.  However, from a traditional winter weather perspective this el nino winter was a trash heap of a winter to say the least.  Only 3 events achieved snowfall amounts of 1" or more.  That's utterly pathetic.  

EDIT:  DVN even worse than here at only 15.4" for the season.

Measurable snowfalls have been so infrequent I can actually itemize them in a short list...

Nov 20-21   8.5

Dec 2           0.5

Dec 28         0.5

Dec 30         0.3

Jan 9            0.8

Jan 11          0.2

Jan 12          0.6

Jan 19-20    1.6

Feb 8            0.2

Feb 9            0.4

Feb 14          2.4

Total            16.0   

Looks like we're heading towards an F- afterall unless March delivers something special.  The severe weather in Nov and Dec was cool, and helped to add interest to the season, and the high wind event the other day did as well.  However, from a traditional winter weather perspective this el nino winter was a trash heap of a winter to say the least.  Only 3 events achieved snowfall amounts of 1" or more.  That's utterly pathetic.  

Someone called that Nov event "the event of the winter" when it happened. Looking spot on right now.

I didn't even get in on the freakin' November system either. I think the most pure, synoptic, NON-LAKE EFFECT snow I've had this whole craphole winter was about 3 inches. 3 inches in November, 3 inches at the very end of December, 30 inches in 2 weeks in January from lake effect (that mostly melted rather quickly), 6 inches in February. This area averages 100 inches a season, so I'm not even at 50% of my normal snowfall.

It is so common for storms to miss West Michigan to the southeast or go up through Wisconsin. I don't really understand what deters them from coming directly towards us. If they do, there never seems to be a cold air supply available. In the future, I need to accept that any rumors of storms coming from the south or southwest will most like lead to nothing or rain here. Alberta Clippers and Manitoba Maulers bring it, and even then, it's mostly lake enhanced.

My rant is done. I think. :axe::ee:

Axe me up, Scotty.

Your winter has been even worse than mine... although, if you take away my 4 inch sleet storm mine is a bit worse.  It has certainly been an F for the general Quad Cities region.

Meanwhile, snow lovers from Waterloo to Sioux Falls are asking, "What bad winter?"  That region has received everything while our region has received nothing.  No spread the wealth this winter, that's for sure.

If we get blanked or get something dumb like 1 to 3 slushy inches I am done with this winter. Enough with the teases and misses.

Just look at the #1 model of the year (GEM) for some eye candy. ;) Bummed that this week's storm went E, but just gotta live w/ it. I'm sure we'll get one more decent snow before spring.. hopefully, maybe. 

If we get blanked or get something dumb like 1 to 3 slushy inches I am done with this winter. Enough with the teases and misses.

As long as areas just to the NW don't get a ton of thundersnow / 2" per hour rates and 12"+ snow totals, I won't get too bent out of shape with that outcome. 

Archived