SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's the time of yr down south where it's tough to hold snow cover going forward. Now it's just about stat padding and hopefully things break right for a few shots at a snow storm and spring to arrive by June near the shores of lake mi.

My pack will be significantly below normal by monday which influences our temp departures greatly this time of the year

I'm a snowstorm lover and not a huge fan of deep cold, so for me this winter has been the worst since I moved out here. Other than the November outlier, an utter lack of good synoptic events and I hated the sleet fest, worst shoveling experience I've ever had. Will say that the sleet storm was interesting from a meteorological perspective. But anyway, at least in 2012, January had 2 good synoptic events. If it's not gonna snow, pass on the cold. At this point, would rather March is mild and would only sign up for a big dog as opposed to a few minor events like we've been getting.

I'm a snowstorm lover and not a huge fan of deep cold, so for me this winter has been the worst since I moved out here. Other than the November outlier, an utter lack of good synoptic events and I hated the sleet fest, worst shoveling experience I've ever had. Will say that the sleet storm was interesting from a meteorological perspective. But anyway, at least in 2012, January had 2 good synoptic events. If it's not gonna snow, pass on the cold. At this point, would rather March is mild and would only sign up for a big dog as opposed to a few minor events like we've been getting.

You and I share similar beliefs on weather. I completely agree with all of this.

Because we need to hear more about snowmobiling in the middle of nowhere with deer.

LOL!

There are barely any piles of snow at the bottom of the driveway this year, a clear sign of how awful the snow season was.

Yep! Usually in winter here the snow along the drive is up to about the waist, and at the end of the drive it's up to about the neck...at least for a period during the winter. This winter, the highest the piles have been are maaaaaybe up to the thigh.

Oh, and agree on the sleet storm too. I was away on Christmas vacation, so didn't get home til a week later when it was all compacted and frozen. Took days off and on to get the crap off the driveway.

Anyone have some good severe threads we can read to pass the time? Doesn't matter to me if they busted in the end just as long as there was pretty good hype in the days prior.

I just finished reading June 12 2013's thread and it got me thinking about how events that are well hyped to have some big MCS/derecho don't always seem to pan out like we plan (I guess that's true for all severe events but it seems it happens more with MCS events). Don't know if there's any actual correlation but June 3 2014 and obviously June 12 2013 came to my mind immediately. I guess we're still pretty bad at predicting storm mode? Maybe someone can offer insight or give counterexamples.

There was another storm about two weeks later. Around March 20th. Dropped 9" here. Was more of an OV storm but I think Detroit got into the action as well.

I don't recall that.  The only OV winterstorm occurred in early Feb, and it hammered the river valley, KY, Cincy, points east.  Screwed CMH other than some slop.

I don't recall that.  The only OV winterstorm occurred in early Feb, and it hammered the river valley, KY, Cincy, points east.  Screwed CMH other than some slop.

Maybe I should have said eastern Lakes or northern OV. I think CLE and BUF got a pretty good dumping (after some -RA and wintry mix).

Here's the storm for reference....

032112.png

Agreed.

Archived