SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Countdown to Winter 2016-2017 Thread

eyewall

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

211 days!

I saw this and thought, whoa! - that feels like the better part of a year!  It can’t be that long until things start to get somewhat wintry around here, can it?  But it looks like that’s the duration until December 1st?  I checked my stats, and mean (as well as median) first frozen precipitation is in the 3rd week of October with an S.D. of only 6 days, so that’s more like ~160 days.  I wouldn’t expect winter to settle in at that point of course, but the leaves are usually down and the chances for wintry precipitation are definitely there.  Looking back at my numbers though, the continuous winter snowpack has started right up in mid-November in some of those La Niña years.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this and thought, whoa! - that feels like the better part of a year!  It can’t be that long until things start to get somewhat wintry around here, can it?  But it looks like that’s the duration until December 1st?  I checked my stats, and mean (as well as median) first frozen precipitation is in the 3rd week of October with an S.D. of only 6 days, so that’s more like ~160 days.  I wouldn’t expect winter to settle in at that point of course, but the leaves are usually down and the chances for wintry precipitation are definitely there.  Looking back at my numbers though, the continuous winter snowpack has started right up in mid-November in some of those La Niña years.

Here is to hoping for a productive La Nina! Anyway we are at 193 days now to December 1st!

• 3 weeks later...

i want winter front loaded... 

think i've had enough of dodging awesome patterns by the nick of a pacific perturbation and having to rely on 'yeah it's only December' platitudes, ...that really just deny the significance of actually being f out of a good December.  

'cause ... if we get belted from mid Novie through the Holidays... i (personally) could care less in snow and cold (though am happy to be hypocritically fascinated should 1888 happen, sure...) even as early as February 15th... anything after that date is futile to me because no matter how many games we endure about big Marches in the past - sure, I give those Marches credit - July is still standing by.   

it just so happens that if we're getting a good early winter in November on... that's juuuust enough months to really get lost in it.  ha!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived