Newest Member
    joxey
First Below Zero Day In NYC Since 1994

bluewave

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so happy! Finally!

Yes! I'm ecstatic too! I just went outside without a coat on to embrace the cold. It felt great.

The key was after midnight, the flow at 850mb and 925mb turned much more due northerly. That greatly helps to reduce any mixing and downsloping, so we were more able to fully utilize the cold air aloft. That was our cooling mechanism after the 850mb temperatures peaked (850mb temperatures actually rose several degrees throughout the night) and is why we were able to drop so quickly after 1:00am, despite no more true CAA aloft. 

if we had snowpack in nyc the temp would have gotten even colder...

I actually don't think the snowpack matters. The cooling tonight was all CAA (and then the mixing layer getting smaller as the night went on as the flow turned more northerly), whereas snowpack really only helps when we are radiating. The snowpack's source of cooling is its high albedo, which is a radiation tool for cooling. 

Yes! I'm ecstatic too! I just went outside without a coat on to embrace the cold. It felt great.

The key was after midnight, the flow at 850mb and 925mb turned much more due northerly. That greatly helps to reduce any mixing and downsloping, so we were more able to fully utilize the cold air aloft. That was our cooling mechanism after the 850mb temperatures peaked (850mb temperatures actually rose several degrees throughout the night) and is why we were able to drop so quickly after 1:00am, despite no more true CAA aloft. 

i'm going to have to go to the store to buy groceries i always do that on sunday.. it's a block away that is going to be interesting....

I actually don't think the snowpack matters. The cooling tonight was all CAA (and then the mixing layer getting smaller as the night went on as the flow turned more northerly), whereas snowpack really only helps when we are radiating. The snowpack's source of cooling is its high albedo, which is a radiation tool for cooling. 

so if we had the snowpack of the blizzard 3 weeks ago it would have not made any difference to the temps?

so if we had the snowpack of the blizzard 3 weeks ago it would have not made any difference to the temps?

In NYC itself, I honestly don't think so. Maybe if it were a 100% fresh snowpack it would've helped slightly. For suburbs where radiational cooling can still be part of the equation somewhat even on a CAA night, it might've helped a tad more. Overall, though, I think its impacts in a CAA environment are overrated. 

A triple crown of winter extremes for NYC this winter.

Warmest December on record by a wide margin

Greatest daily snowfall in January

First below zero day since 1994 in February.

I wonder what kind of odds you could have gotten on this bet if you made it in October? :lol:

In NYC itself, I honestly don't think so. Maybe if it were a 100% fresh snowpack it would've helped slightly. For suburbs where radiational cooling can still be part of the equation somewhat even on a CAA night, it might've helped a tad more. Overall, though, I think its impacts in a CAA environment are overrated.

I had said that the other day too, NYC had a 5-7 inch snow pack in 04 and it didn't really matter

A triple crown of winter extremes for NYC this winter.

Warmest December on record by a wide margin

Greatest daily snowfall in January

First below zero day since 1994 in February.

I wonder what kind of odds you could have gotten on this bet if you made it in October? :lol:

The odds of those three things happening in one winter have to be so remote, it's basically 0. The combination above is probably a one in 10,000 year event

Archived