Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
First Below Zero Day In NYC Since 1994

bluewave

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bluewave, on 13 Feb 2016 - 1:28 PM, said:

As of 1pm NYC is down to 18 degrees. This is right on target for the 12Z GFS MOS.

We'll update at 7pm to see which model has the better verification.

12z GFS MOS.. 1 pm... NYC...18...7pm.....15.....forecast  low.....5

12z NAM MOS .1 pm....NYC...16...7pm.....11....forecast  low......1

I did some comparisons during some of last winters cold outbreaks and found that the NAM did somewhat better than the GFS on its 2m temp projections...we'll see which does better this time.

I thought it seemed odd, but the nearest Wunderground stations were in the same range. I'm down to 23 now.

I wouldn't use a Wunderground station for verification unless it was a known good setup. I say this as this past summer there were 2 stations within 3 miles of me that would constantly report temps 5-7 degrees higher than mine. When I found both these stations one was situated about 3' from an AC unit that blew hot air at it constantly. The other was situated on the edge of a blacktop driveway in the guys backyard. The heat from the blacktop skewed every temp reading. SMH. The other funny thing about these stations were the anemometers. The first was mounted to the trunk of a tree in the guys backyard, the second? Yep, right next to the driveway, about 8' off the ground lol.

How is this a bust? What's your location in regards to other structures? Shopping malls etc. what are you using for measurement?

Its 17 now and I am joking.

My weather station is properly sighted 6 feet off the.ground over grass (snow now) in the far.corner of my yard away from any structures.

Im in commack...not exactly a heat island. Radiate very well here.

Bobby, on 13 Feb 2016 - 2:53 PM, said:

I wouldn't use a Wunderground station for verification unless it was a known good setup. I say this as this past summer there were 2 stations within 3 miles of me that would constantly report temps 5-7 degrees higher than mine. When I found both these stations one was situated about 3' from an AC unit that blew hot air at it constantly. The other was situated on the edge of a blacktop driveway in the guys backyard. The heat from the blacktop skewed every temp reading. SMH. The other funny thing about these stations were the anemometers. The first was mounted to the trunk of a tree in the guys backyard, the second? Yep, right next to the driveway, about 8' off the ground lol.

Yeah as its become easier for people to put cheap stations online, there are more and more poorly exposed and poorly maintained stations online...not a fan of the all in one stations with all sensors either a few feet above ground level or on the roof.

Archived