• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

I think what he is saying is to use analogs basically. I think there is merit to that idea and have ask the same question myself in the past. In addition to, not in place of, the math/physics being used, use prior experiences. I have no idea how you would do that, but if your data set is large enough you'd be able to find prior dates with similar conditions. So you incorporate what happened prior into the output of the model. It would take a massive set of data to be effective. I doubt we have a set of data large enough.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bad model runs and the near 70 degree weather today almost has me ready for Spring.  I need a threat of snow on the horizon to get excited about quick!

i'll second that. I have a couple steaks on the grill right now as I stand here looking at the deck around the pool wondering what color I should stain it in the spring.

Frustrating winter

Most are for this area. We are not really a #snowtown.  This winter for me is not even in the top 10 of frustrating winters here (lived in NOVA for past 25 years). We were blessed with the January blizzard (top 3 modern snow storm for us) and then two small events. Overall it was a good winter--not great, not terrible, but good. I don't understand expectations of deep cold and continuous snow cover for long periods of time. Both are very rare for this area.

ETA: We will see snow in March. How much, no one knows, but chances are better than average we will add to our snow totals. 

I wouldn't completely rule out the chance of at least another 3-6 inches in the DC/Balt area. The models are having a tough time pinning down precise details 48 hours out much less ten days. Regardless, there is still a strong sign for significant blocking by days 7-10. In an El Niño year we all know March can bring suprises. We'll see but I think this winter has a curveball or two left in it.

Most are for this area. We are not really a #snowtown. This winter for me is not even in the top 10 of frustrating winters here (lived in NOVA for past 25 years). We were blessed with the January blizzard (top 3 modern snow storm for us) and then two small events. Overall it was a good winter--not great, not terrible, but good. I don't understand expectations of deep cold and continuous snow cover for long periods of time. Both are very rare for this area.[/quote

I'm in complete agreement I've been around for some pretty piss poor winters around here in the past 25 years myself. Not sure what people are really expecting. If you need 80 inch a year winters and continuous snow cover move out to the Allegheny mountains of West Virginia. I lived in Pocahontas County for 18 months as domestic peace corps volunteer and My road was snowed in by drifts as late as mid April

Archived