• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

I was reading some of our December posts where things looked so bleak it was beyond sad. If winter ended tomorrow without a flake we are way ahead of where most of us thought we would be. Many posts about a snowless winter...most made by me. Point is we should all smile that this winter was salvaged.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After picking apart the weeklies yea what bob said, wow it gets better each week right to the end. My only complaint would be the best look is March 7-14 and that is starting to push the limits of when we can realistically hope to do well. Won't be boring that's for sure.

I think higher elevations of Carroll can pull off a 9-12 incher fairly easily through about March 15 from a climo standpoint.

I think higher elevations of Carroll can pull off a 9-12 incher fairly easily through about March 15 from a climo standpoint.

Any location in the MA can do that if the conditions are right. After hitting 73F on Christmas I realized that anything is possible even in winter. Yes you have a better chance but we are all fair game for climo extreme events.

Any location in the MA can do that if the conditions are right. After hitting 73F on Christmas I realized that anything is possible even in winter. Yes you have a better chance but we are all fair game for climo extreme events.

Key words, fairly easily, I am not sure the same can be said closer into baltimore, for instance.

Since 1993 most areas in Carroll County have seen almost 20 events that were 4 inches or greater during the month of March. Many of those of which were after March 10th. In that same 22 year period there have been countless smaller events between 1 and 4 inches. 

I agree for the usual elevated areas including out here. I love snow. But by March 15th I am usually ready for Spring anyways. With the long term look on the models it could be a late spring this year.

Key words, fairly easily, I am not sure the same can be said closer into baltimore, for instance.

I know. You are right. Your location is favored but some of the extremes we have seen lately makes me question simple climo. I know it all factors in to the greater 30 year average but sometimes it still makes me scratch my head and wonder.

Nam intensifies the system on Sunday resulting in a real surge of cold air into our area with a strong nw flow from the Lakes. Strap yourselves down for some eye popping progs for next week if the other models follow suit.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=084ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F00%2Fnam_namer_084_850_temp_ht.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=850_temp_ht&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160219+00+UTC&imageSize=L&ps=model

maybe later then that here. Two of westminsters biggest snows ever came in late March. 30" in 1958 and 32" 1942. There were also numerous 8-12" hits in March over the years but they seemed much more frequent in the past then more recently, last few years excluded. These things run in cycles though and this type of pattern in March is pretty rare so I think our area specifically has all of March as a window if the pattern is good. 95 starts to get rough after March 10.

Nam intensifies the system on Sunday resulting in a real surge of cold air into our area with a strong nw flow from the Lakes. Strap yourselves down for some eye popping progs for next week if the other models follow suit.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=084ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F00%2Fnam_namer_084_850_temp_ht.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=850_temp_ht&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160219+00+UTC&imageSize=L&ps=model

Nice snowstorm north of the mason Dixon too

That's step one. Get the cold in better. Then we have more wiggle room to root for a stronger system.

That Sunday thing keeps trending south and that may get interesting here. Forget next week models haven't resolved this weekend yet.

That didn't really seriously cross my mind down here, but you could probably see pity flakes, at least, if the nam's 0z run is close to being right. But the strength of the first storm already started illiciting fears of suppression with the Wednesday event. Lol

Yep, and when I said eye popping I meant models would start advertising a colder and snowier storm chance. That 1st storm will hopefully become our surrogate 50/50.

I have little confidence in any solution right now with so much going on. But assuming the coming advertised pattern verifies, I expect once models see it better we will begin to get some crazy op runs in a good way. I don't know which vort it will be but build the pattern being shown and the threats will come.

Archived