SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think wxbell as long as the sfc is less than 50 it is snow on their maps...

At least in this case it's 33-34 DC-east through the bulk of the precip. Not a bad run at all honestly. I'm interested in the ensembles to see which direction they went. GEFS was unchanged with an equal mix of good and bad the last 3 runs. 

At least in this case it's 33-34 DC-east through the bulk of the precip. Not a bad run at all honestly. I'm interested in the ensembles to see which direction they went. GEFS was unchanged with an equal mix of good and bad the last 3 runs. 

this run is much better imby than yesterday's 12Z

per soundings, yesterday's run was a lot of sleet, as I suspected since thicknesses were running 544

today they peak at 541 and drop into the upper 530's

surface temp at 0Z Thursday is .2C with more precip to fall (waiting on the next 6-hr. panel)

this run is much better imby than yesterday's 12Z

per soundings, yesterday's run was a lot of sleet, as I suspected since thicknesses were running 544

today they peak at 541 and drop into the upper 530's

surface temp at 0Z Thursday is .2C with more precip to fall (waiting on the next 6-hr. panel)

Track was much better for marginal cold. Running through central NC is bad unless we have cold pressing. It was a good run all the way around. Only 13 more to go!

Don't like the trend.

You realize where the euro is going right?

We have gone from over 2" accum precip through next Wed to about 0.7 and about 0.2 of that falls before the "storm" ever starts.

We will be able to take solace in the fact that it will be cold enough for snow.

This is only the Euro version of events.  Could be wrong.

My access to the Euro is via Accuweather Professional and go figure something went wrong with receiving the data because it stops after 138 hours. I can't see anything other than something appearing to develop down in the southeast US.  It looks cold enough at 850 here in DC to support snow, but again I can't see anything beyond 138 to get a sense of how everything evolves.

You realize where the euro is going right?

We have gone from over 2" accum precip through next Wed to about 0.7 and about 0.2 of that falls before the "storm" ever starts.

We will be able to take solace in the fact that it will be cold enough for snow.

This is only the Euro version of events.  Could be wrong.

Oh, I see where this is heading.  The same direction that our last 2 threats headed.  LOL.

My access to the Euro is via Accuweather Professional and go figure something went wrong with receiving the data because it stops after 138 hours. I can't see anything other than something appearing to develop down in the southeast US.  It looks cold enough at 850 here in DC to support snow, but again I can't see anything beyond 138 to get a sense of how everything evolves.

850's are fine, but the surface temps are 33-34 basically. Plenty of time to go either way. FWIW, the WxBell maps give DC 9" and the Accuwx maps give you around the same, maybe 8".

Euro ens are a little warmer @ 850 but overall similar to 0z. Just noise probably. Mix of hits/misses/grazes.

Nothing new was gained from 12z suite. 

i was looking for a duplicate of the jan 22-23 storm so from that sense...its been a disappointing day

Good discussion by LWX this afternoon - 

LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE IS STARTING TO SHOW A VAGUE CONSENSUS ON THE
EVOLUTION OF LOW PRESSURE AFFECTING THE MID-ATLANTIC DURING THE
MIDDLE PART OF NEXT WEEK.

OVERALL...THE SYNOPTIC SETUP REMAINS THE SAME WITH AN AMPLIFYING
RIDGE OVER WESTERN NOAM LEADING TO DOWNSTREAM TROUGHING OVER THE
EASTERN CONUS. THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS AS IT USUALLY IS...EVEN
MORE SO THIS TIME OF YEAR AS THE SUN ANGLE GETS HIGHER AND BOUNDARY
LAYER TEMPS BECOME MORE OF AN ISSUE. 12Z GEFS/CANADIAN AND 00Z EC
ENSEMBLE MEANS AGREE ON LOW TRACK BUT STILL HAVE SUBSTANTIAL
SPREAD...THOUGH BETTER CLUSTERING THAN 24 HOURS AGO. 12Z OPER
ECMWF/CMC/GFS ARE CLOSE TO THE ENSEMBLE MEANS LENDING A MODEST
INCREASE IN CONFIDENCE IN COASTAL LOW TRACK. IT IS NOT LIKELY TO
TRACK INLAND DUE TO THE SYNOPTIC SETUP WHICH FAVORS AN AMPLIFIED
BUT PROGRESSIVE OPEN WAVE AT 500 MB...BUT THE STORM LIKELY WILL
NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE OUT TO SEA ALTOGETHER DUE TO STRONG RIDGING
OVER THE CENTRAL ATLANTIC.

AN INCREASINGLY POSITIVE PNA WITH A NEUTRAL AND NEGATIVELY TRENDING
AO AND MODESTLY POSITIVE NAO TRENDING SLIGHTLY IN A NEGATIVE
DIRECTION SUGGEST COLD AIR WILL TEND TO BE MOVING IN AS THE STORM
TAKES SHAPE RATHER THAN BE IN PLACE BEFORE THE STORM...WHICH ADDS
UNCERTAINTY TO PTYPE.

TALLYING ALL THE MEMBERS FROM ALL THE ENSEMBLES...ABOUT 30 PERCENT
HAVE A SIGNAL FOR WARNING LEVEL SNOW NORTH AND WEST OF I-95...WITH
SLIGHTLY BETTER POTENTIAL WEST OF THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS WHICH IS
CLIMATOLOGICALLY FAVORED/COOLER. PTYPE WILL LIKELY BE A BIG ISSUE
FROM THE METROS SOUTH AND EAST TO THE CHESAPEAKE BAY. STILL A LOT OF
TIME FOR THINGS TO WAVER. OF NOTE...THE 12Z UKMET IS MUCH MORE
MERIDIONAL BY 12Z WED WITH A CLOSED LOW DEEPENING OVER CENTRAL
TENNESSEE. THOUGH THIS IS AN OUTLIER SOLUTION IT CANNOT BE
COMPLETELY DISCOUNTED...AND LENDS TO A STILL UNCERTAIN FORECAST AT
THIS TIME RANGE.

So they are basically saying .... "We just can't know"

I disagree. That's very positive technicalities they are trying to nail at this range and I'm impressed. They are already saying a cutter and ots are unlikely. That's huge!

Euro ens are a little warmer @ 850 but overall similar to 0z. Just noise probably. Mix of hits/misses/grazes.

Nothing new was gained from 12z suite. 

You mentioned this in your follow on post, but I think the good step today was that all the solutions went to a coastal low with an earlier transfer and lost the inland runner look.  I think we're in a marginal temp situation regardless, but a coastal low maximizes what cold air is available and gives us out best shot at a snowy solution near the cities. 

Looking over the 12z runs, a couple of things stood out.  850 temps for DC were generally down from 00z for the Euro, GFS, and GGEM (dashed lines are the 00z runs, solid are the 12z runs).

vtbWH0r.png

Also the GGEM control run was west of most ensemble members, suggesting the GGEM will probably tick east. 

Edit:  Looking more closely at it, it appears that there is a batch that cuts well inland as well.

tXrs3r3.gif

Archived