joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z GGEM brings the storm out as two waves that are not even close to snowstorms. 

Not a good start to the 00z suite. 

It looks close to a snowstorm to me.

TBhFCQs.png

It's a tick west and warmer from the 12z run.  It looks like my prediction that it would go east was a bad call.

QPF amounts for le Euro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The setup low on Sunday night is uneven but it roughly drops .2 inches 95 corridor with heavier amounts north and west of .25-.35 inches. Again rough estimates but the total precip, including the sun-mon low, are around 1 inch 95 corridor with higher amounts north and west of 1.2-1.4 inches. So maybe roughly a .8-1 inch falls for the main show. 

Fairly significant shift on the EPS 00Z run. Instead of a low forming around SC and then running it up the coast it now forms the low further to the west around Miss. and Alabama and drives that up into Eastern Kentucky and Tenn. before shunting it to the east through MD. Now maybe the Euro is catching onto something but with the GEFS and GEM showing a coastal track for a couple days as well as the EPS  showing a coastal track for 4+ days I have to question if this is just a wonky run. I have noticed this winter on several occasions that the Euro seemed to have issues for a few runs around mid range (4 - 6 day) only to move back to it's original solution as we got closer to the event. 

Edit: Was having a lot of issues with wxbell when looking at the 00Z ensembles earlier but after taking a quick glance again it seems that both the GEFS and GEM have actually shifted west as well.

The differences between the gfs and the last 2 nam runs is stark. Nam really develops the Sunday/Monday storm and pulls cold air south leaving a strong nw flow of cold air advection into the area. Gfs squashes that storm which precludes the cold air advection leaving a lousy setup for our storm. I'm thinking gfs caves to nam, but I could be wrong.

Trend overnight was towards taking the low into the Ohio valley then some sort of transfer, but looks right overhead or just off the coast at our latitude. Nice signal for a rain event if it evolves like that, given the lack of cold air. Need the low to track further south and be a coastal to get snow out of this, but its trending in the wrong direction. What Mitch said in the post above would work, but I am not putting much faith in the NAM beyond 60h.

Archived