• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

The only nail biters I like are the ones where precip is the only concern. Borderline column/surface + my yard = notsogoodmostofthetime

First of all, we all worry about something with these storms. Second, whether I'd rather worry about track or temps is sort of a false choice because track will dictate temps. Now, sometimes there isn't any cold air to speak of and we have no chance. But this one seems to be indicating that cold air will be close enough. Thus, the perfect track can overcome cold concerns, if not completely then for the most part (and I think that's what those of us around I95 are talking-for the most part since some rain/mix is likely even under the best scenario the way it looks now.) The other thing that is in the back of my mind is how the Para Euro was ots. If that is supposed to have a better resolution than the current operational, it makes sense that the operational came east of its 0Z run. I wonder if that means the next run of the Para is a bit west or still ots....oh the intrigue. 

In any event, it looks like I picked the wrong week to catch up on sleep!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we're at that point in the year with a borderline event where the timing also becomes a bigger player (day/night). Will be interesting to see when the lull between the WAA and the main event sets up, when the moderate to heavy precip comes, and what that means for surface temperatures in marginal areas (where ever those may be).

Are there any similarities in the setup to March 5 last year? That's the only rain-to-snow I remember that's ever worked out well for me.

that was multiple waves along a pressing cold boundary. The last of which got us. This starts similar but seems to develop into a more mature and even cut off low eventually.

A bulk of the precip falls with Sfc temperatures between 33-36 for the cities, StormVista shows 2-4" for most of the coastal plain and the metros, 10" line is like IAD to Clarksburg to Parkton, NW Virginia and Eastern WV, along with Northern New Jersey NE through White Plains NY into Western Mass are the winners with 16-20".

The only nail biters I like are the ones where precip is the only concern. Borderline column/surface + my yard = notsogoodmostofthetime

Yep.  We do precip much better than temps around here.  If our average high temp in the winter was 32 degrees, we would average 60"+ of snow per year.  Even with a retreating arctic airmass we found a way to get some snow.  

Temps first, precip 2nd...at least most of the time.

Heh, euro ens looking pretty damn good. I'm about to get sucked in...

12z EURO ENS are solid.  I'm sucked in.  Lets do this. 

Now I feel even more confident that the Para will come west with a hit. Of course, I'm not saying which run it'll do that!  I'll let you know when I have that nailed down.  :grad:

I can't remember the specific pattern in place, but I keep thinking back to March 2-3, 2014. We had a mild (above normal) Sunday, with rain that moved in that evening, cold air finally arrived overnight into Monday morning, and we ended up with a decent cold/snowy Monday. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/liveblog-live/liveblog/live-updates-march-winter-storm-hits-d-c-area/

Are there any similarities in the setup to March 5 last year? That's the only rain-to-snow I remember that's ever worked out well for me.

Archived