SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 8-9th Miller Boom or Bust Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the point where I shy away from the ensembles but do like to look to see if they are in agreement with the op runs. Euro ensembles agree with the central MD snowfall jackpot that the high res Nam, RGEM are depicting though the means has fairly substantial lower snowfall totals (3 1/2 inch max in  Balt/Carroll county with 3 through central MD). Looking at qpf maps would explain that because it has the heavier qpf totals  south of what the NAM/RGEM have. A casual glance at individual members show very good agreement and only after 36 hours do we start to see them diverge.

Hi res NAM should make the DC/Balt corridor happy. Substantially wetter then the 00z run and it pulls the NE MD jackpot from the reg NAM south to where the jackpot runs in the DC/Balt corridor. Again looking at snowfall maps suggest some issues with temps, especially south, but if they can be overcome the run suggests a warning criteria through central MD with up to 10 inches around Balt. All and all a very nice run.

To me the 4k NAM has a similar snowfall distribution to the Euro, and doesn't have the "odd" jackpots like the GFS has been suggesting. Looks like 5-7" over N Central MD and 2-4" elsewhere.

To me the 4k NAM has a similar snowfall distribution to the Euro, and doesn't have the "odd" jackpots like the GFS has been suggesting. Looks like 5-7" over N Central MD and 2-4" elsewhere.

As far as the warning criteria I could have worded it better. Should have said that temps are so marginal with just a slight adjustment colder we would be looking at warning criteria with the amount of qpf being shown. 

As far as the warning criteria I could have worded it better. Should have said that temps are so marginal with just a slight adjustment colder we would be looking at warning criteria with the amount of qpf being shown. 

Yeah the max qpf runs NW-SE, from N MD, SE through BWI and Annapolis, and over to the eastern shore. The primary reason Westminster is at say 7" and Easton is 3-4, are the temps. Have to see where banding sets up as well.

NWS has reduced the snow accumulation around DC to just 1-2 (with maximum between 3-5). They clearly think temps will be tough - well, their automated system thinks that at least.

If we don't turn cloudy fast, I don't see how we don't see people approach 50 in some places today.

If we don't turn cloudy fast, I don't see how we don't see people approach 50 in some places today.

Wow, the rare turn of a triple negative there, congrats!  ;)

But seriously...I've just been reading through the last couple or so pages.  Like the trends from overnight even closer in here to the DC area.  I'd have to imagine advisories will go up in the areas just outside that watch by early tomorrow, if anything just because of the rush hour timing.  I still think we'll see some adjustments in one way or another with the 12Z cycle.

As several have noted the 00 Euro is more favorable for accumulating snow  than its 12 UT predecessor.  For my area, still looks like a 6 or 7 PM start with temperatures in the mid 30s.  However, temperatures do fall to 33 by early morning when the snow begins in earnest. The precip total is 0.58" (was 0.45" in last run) with ~0.45 inches occurring between 1 AM and 4 PM when temperatures range between 33 and 35. The morning lull that was so problematic in the last run for temperatures is less clear in this run. 

Archived