SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 5 quick hitting obs

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Jeff you did real good!! Nice!! Ended up with 9 here...not to shabby when you consider yesterday morning I was forecast for a covering at best. What a trend huh!!

Yeah it was sweet, Congrats on the 9", It was funny how this one sneaked up on us as all I have listens to is people saying I didn't know it was going to snow today.....lol

6-7" final depending on where you measure, will split the difference and call it 6.5". This storm definitely redeemed itself a bit with that last band and the absolutely incredible beauty that's outside right now. Got some sweet shots which I'll post in a few mins when I get them off my phone.

regarding this whole snowboard clearing issue...I think its a real problem during some of the big storms...there were a number of eastern folk who had snow depths that were say 22 inches at the end of the Jan blizzard but by clearing the board every six hours they had totals that approached 30 inches.

i know the snow was fluffy out east in the good deform bands but it just seems a bit off to say you got thirty inches when as the last flakes fell only 22 was on the ground. certainly there is compaction settling and issues with strong winds etc, as unscientific as it may be it seems reasonable to just add ten to fifteen percent to the total for those allowances and it wouldnt surprise me if the biggest totals of depth were closer to that adjusted number ( meaning you measure 22 inches as the last flakes fall but two hours or three hours before the depth actually peaked at 24 inches after the last of the real heavy snow and you had lighter snows the last few hours)

in regards to metherb...the fact that his wife measured nearly 13 inch depth is darn impressive for this event!! and overall i tend to agree with that way of measuring far more than board clearing every six hours but i can live with a ten or fifteen percent allowance in long duration events for compaction and settling.

Did not Ryan say that the blizzard of feb 13 which put down up to 3 feet in parts of southern ct would not really have been adjusted that much upwards due to compaction and settling? I think he did bc of the high water content and fast pace of the snowfall but surely there must have been some settling and compaction.

At the end of the day when there is a big storm and two foot or more on the ground on the level...or even more than 20 inches...that to me is historic.

post-2792-0-61527300-1454709852_thumb.jppost-2792-0-53412700-1454710152_thumb.jp

I can't get all my best pictures to post but they are on Twitter and Facebook.

11.25" in 12 Hours, a Mini-Dec. 9 2005. Just did not hit a foot, which is RARE for me in these storms. I never fall between 10.25-11.99. Oh Well. The Damage is BAD. It's Stunningly, STUNNINGLY Beautiful. But Devastating to the trees as well.

Two photos to share with you all.

First one is from my delivery location in Waterbury. I took it about 10:00am this morning when it was snowing like a sumbitch... Does anyone know what Waterbury ended up with? There was about 3 inches when I took the pic.

The second one is the edge of your storm as seen from Newburgh, NY.

Cool photos, I think we got about 6" here and my buddy up the hill got 7". Where in Waterbury is your delivery location?

regarding this whole snowboard clearing issue...I think its a real problem during some of the big storms...there were a number of eastern folk who had snow depths that were say 22 inches at the end of the Jan blizzard but by clearing the board every six hours they had totals that approached 30 inches.

i know the snow was fluffy out east in the good deform bands but it just seems a bit off to say you got thirty inches when as the last flakes fell only 22 was on the ground. certainly there is compaction settling and issues with strong winds etc, as unscientific as it may be it seems reasonable to just add ten to fifteen percent to the total for those allowances and it wouldnt surprise me if the biggest totals of depth were closer to that adjusted number ( meaning you measure 22 inches as the last flakes fall but two hours or three hours before the depth actually peaked at 24 inches after the last of the real heavy snow and you had lighter snows the last few hours)

in regards to metherb...the fact that his wife measured nearly 13 inch depth is darn impressive for this event!! and overall i tend to agree with that way of measuring far more than board clearing every six hours but i can live with a ten or fifteen percent allowance in long duration events for compaction and settling.

Did not Ryan say that the blizzard of feb 13 which put down up to 3 feet in parts of southern ct would not really have been adjusted that much upwards due to compaction and settling? I think he did bc of the high water content and fast pace of the snowfall but surely there must have been some settling and compaction.

At the end of the day when there is a big storm and two foot or more on the ground on the level...or even more than 20 inches...that to me is historic.

To each their own. I personally think +SN with no change in the snow total is a problem.

lol

Ask the BUF guys what they did in 1977 or any other LES event prior to the change.  I'm not a LES expert.

Don't wanna say I'm an expert but I can chime in as I've lived there for some 15yrs to the E of Lake Ontario but I'm not a buffalo guy, and don't wanna be, lol.

In a LE event, the compaction is so intense ( depends obviously on mostly mesoscale variables within the band itself like wind trajectory and speed, temps (the colder the more compaction), lapse rates within the band or whether your on the outer skirts of the band or in the middle ect.) that it almost has to be done in smaller increments like say 4hrs or if you can 2hrs because if you wait till it's all said and done, you can seriously lose quite a bit of accumulation but then everyone has to do it this way or measurements are off from person to person or from one area to the next.  This is the reason most measure at area airports, at least that's what KSYR and KBUF do so they get one uniform total but within a 5 mile swath, there could be literally 20 different totals, so who's right.  All semantics I suppose but I say just be honest with measurements as that happens as well, as if your a better man if you get a higher total, lol.  There are just so many variables in measuring snow, I don't even bother anymore, lol.

Some also argue that its not right to measure this way because you should actually wait till it compacts to get a more accurate measurement area wide, even if its mesoscale.  Like I said, all semantics.

Who was the jackpot location?

There was a corridor

..TOLLAND COUNTY...

COVENTRY 14.3 456 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 NW STAFFORD SPRING 13.0 419 PM 2/05 CO-OP OBSERVER

STAFFORD SPRINGS 12.8 135 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

TOLLAND 12.0 148 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

COLUMBIA 11.8 226 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

...WINDHAM COUNTY...

POMFRET CENTER 12.6 240 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

WOODSTOCK 12.5 323 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

POMFRET 11.0 348 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

STERLING 11.0 414 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

SOUTH KILLINGLY 11.0 501 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

1 W POMFRET LANDING 10.8 429 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

THOMPSON 10.5 110 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

HAMPTON 10.0 320 PM 2/05 NONE

EAST KILLINGLY 9.2 313 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

MOOSUP 9.0 345 PM 2/05 SOCIAL MEDIA

BROOKLYN 8.0 413 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

ASHFORD 7.7 1134 AM 2/05 HAM RADIO

PUTNAM 7.5 1137 AM 2/05 HAM RADIO

MASSACHUSETTS

...WORCESTER COUNTY...

3 WNW WORCESTER 12.5 336 PM 2/05 AIRPORT

STERLING 11.6 201 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

WORCESTER 11.0 1227 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

SOUTHBRIDGE 11.0 322 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

BOYLSTON 11.0 338 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

AUBURN 10.8 321 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

SHREWSBURY 10.8 433 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

BERLIN 10.8 119 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

LEOMINSTER 10.2 331 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

LUNENBURG 10.1 155 PM 2/

There was a corridor

..TOLLAND COUNTY...

COVENTRY 14.3 456 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 NW STAFFORD SPRING 13.0 419 PM 2/05 CO-OP OBSERVER

STAFFORD SPRINGS 12.8 135 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

TOLLAND 12.0 148 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

COLUMBIA 11.8 226 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

You had to look a good 10 miles to the south of the radar returns for ground truth.

Archived