joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 5 quick hitting obs

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last band produced!  Looking at some clearing in the western sky now.  Heading home soon and will figure out a place to measure-I have an idea...box (I think tree protected) where we keep the dog brushes, etc....measure at the top.  May not be flat though but I may have something else...

How is it not consistent to ALWAYS measure the snow at the end of the event and not in the middle of it?  I am ALWAYS measuring what fell, not a sum of different amounts during the event.

Snow is a unique beast. There's never going to be a perfect way to do it. If it snows at 1"/hr of fluff for 24hrs you're not going to have 24" on the board at the end of the period. Maybe you have 11" after 12hrs, but you only add another 5" in the final 12hrs becaue of compaction. It gives the impression that the back 12hrs was less intense than the front 12. Try telling road clean up crews that only a handful of inches fell overnight when they know it was snowing just as hard as it did during the day.

I understand your points as well. If there was a perfect way to do it then we wouldn't be having this argument for decades. If there was an automated way to accurately and inexpensively measure and clear snowfall I'm pretty sure we'd be seeing this method at COOPs as well. The board clearing is the big issue...especially finding a way to do it without any moving parts.

Good disco about in the dc controversy thread in the ma. Can u believe that if 3 inches falls...it melts...and anothet 3 inches falls...only 3 inches is supposed to be recorded? What a **** show.

Haven't read it yet...are they saying DCA is supposed to report every 24hrs?

Exactly what I was hoping for in Boston area...! A glimpse of the setting sun under the canopy, I posted the vis sat above.

Not sure we make it though.

i'm about 25 mi west of you as the crow flies.   

you may get the orange/purple belly flash at your range, however, and that's worth the price of admission. 

Two photos to share with you all.

First one is from my delivery location in Waterbury. I took it about 10:00am this morning when it was snowing like a sumbitch... Does anyone know what Waterbury ended up with? There was about 3 inches when I took the pic.

The second one is the edge of your storm as seen from Newburgh, NY.

post-317-0-78394900-1454709357_thumb.jpg

post-317-0-97091300-1454709328_thumb.jpg

Archived