Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 5 quick hitting obs

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

winding down here, prob about 6 inches...plow pile at the end of the driveway sucked to move...most of the snow accumulated before noon, then when the heavy bands set up, i was in subsidence the rest of the day between two decent bands...i actually don't mind because the 6 inches i had to shovel was really heavy...i'm thankful there wasn't more!

This storm will bring out the issues with measuring. PNS reports will have measurements only once a storm, on pavement..etc. I can tell you right now there will be a difference if you did not brush an area or board off every 6 hrs

Although I don't do it for continuity reasons I thought the sweep and measure method was no longer preferred.  Is that not the case?

I always have trouble getting amounts in western CT. Who here is from Litchfield county? I don't think anyone is, is there? Again, making map later post or PM amounts.

Snow has completely stopped. And the sun is shining now! Cant believe it was just +SN a couple hours ago now its becoming partly sunny...

Not in Litchfield cty per se but on the border in Burlington; 7.2" final here; snowplow client had 6.0 in Harwinton; I usually get a few Lit cty reports once system is finished and snowplow guys call me... DOT storm report is online and has a few locations.

This storm will bring out the issues with measuring. PNS reports will have measurements only once a storm, on pavement..etc. I can tell you right now there will be a difference if you did not brush an area or board off every 6 hrs

thought they were stopping the clearing off method?

thought they were stopping the clearing off method?

Yeah I never go that, If someone in one town doesn't clear their area and the next town over does, it could be the difference of 50% sometimes. Imagine a 36hr 2ft storm of wet snow, clearing a board every 6 hours you could measure maybe 3ft. Snow will always be somewhat subjective 'cause it drifts so much and ratios affect totals so much. And then of course how one measures it is another whole debacle. 

If we waited all last winter to clear we'd have about 3ft of snow all season. With clearing between storms, about 9 or 10ft. Ok that's a bit of an extreme example but you get the point. 

I'd be for the clearing method if everyone did it. It'd be good just to have constancy.

Yeah I never go that, If someone in one town doesn't clear their area and the next town over does, it could be the difference of 50% sometimes. Imagine a 36hr 2ft storm of wet snow, clearing a board every 6 hours you could measure maybe 3ft. Snow will always be somewhat subjective 'cause it drifts so much and ratios affect totals so much. And then of course how one measures it is another whole debacle. 

If we waited all last winter to clear we'd have about 3ft of snow all season. With clearing between storms, about 9 or 10ft. Ok that's a bit of an extreme example but you get the point. 

I'd be for the clearing method if everyone did it. It'd be good just to have constancy.

The climo sites clear and most of the people here clear too.

i thought ray martin said nws is going back to old way of basically snow depth. it was talked about in the mid atlantic thread about the washington dc messed up totals.

I have never heard of that. The does not sound right. It would completely screw up all previous snow amounts for years. 

The climo sites clear and most of the people here clear too.

Hard to do that when one's workplace is 30+ miles from home.  I clear at 7 AM for cocorahs and at 9 PM because that's been my obs time since 1976 and I wish to keep consistency.  If I'm home during an extended snowfall, sometimes I'll clear at 2 PM.

Had another half hour puff of +SN 2:30-3, then back to moderate with tiny flakes.  Must be approaching 6" in Augusta.

Worst model bust (at least in the positive direction) this close to an event since 1/27/11.

Though we gotta give the Ukie credit...ti had it from 72h and didn't budge much.

And really caught many on-air / pro mets at the mercy of each model run, catching up forecasts with each run within the last 24 hours.

Often we can anticipate that models might trend or bust a certain way (before they do), and point to a synoptic reason for that.

If anything, most seemed to favor a more progressive scenario. Forky and maybe a few others anticipated the Atlantic ridge was being underestimated, but most forecasters including NWS were caught scrambling to catch up Thursday afternoon.

A really tough one to forecast. Still a mystery to me why heights over the Atlantic were not well sampled until the last 24 hours, that's not an issue we often see.

This parting band is holding its own for the coast.

There has to be a time frame put on it... you can't just say when the snow stops.  You could have all different timing issues and settlement problems.

Snowfall is essentially a measurement of snowflakes that fall out of the sky (thus elevated white painted board and clear every 6-hours to accurately collect those snowflakes falling from the sky).  Snow depth is what's on the ground. 

I have never heard of that. The does not sound right. It would completely screw up all previous snow amounts for years. 

Actually, most weather records were done recording the snowfall after the snow ended until the early 1990s.  Many of us argued exactly what you are saying - it would completely screw up all previous snow amounts.  It's the reason that I continue to do the old method because I would never be able to compare new measurements with old ones.

Actually, most weather records were done recording the snowfall after the snow ended until the early 1990s.  Many of us argued exactly what you are saying - it would completely screw up all previous snow amounts.  It's the reason that I continue to do the old method because I would never be able to compare new measurements with old ones.

How do you account for different lengths of storms?  Say 36 hour events or something that stops and starts for like 2 days straight?

Archived