• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buf is insistent on warming us above freezing tomorrow aftn. I dont agree. Rgem hrgrem and 4km nam do not warm above 31 degrees. These mesos tend to do better for 2m temps in ene winds north of a warm front.

CMC-REG is pretty consistent on BUF being on the icy mix line while north of it gets heavy snow and the southern portion get rain/snow mix, I'm thinking 8-10" for Northern Erie county into Niagara and 4-6" for BUF south towns with significant freezing rain accumulation.

ice-disruptive.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=551&api=ice-crippling.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=551&api=7

I wouldn't say 0.5" of ice is 'crippling' in upstate NY. Closer to 1", sure. In my experience, large branches and trees don't really start coming down until greater than 0.5", but sure you can have some limbs down and isolated power outages with less than that. In any case, I can't imagine too many places seeing 0.25" freezing rain accretion with this set-up, let alone 0.5".

I'm feeling pretty confident in my location at this point. I'm at least all frozen in some form or another for the duration of the event. Not much of a buzz about it in the roc though.....yet

It's nocturnal peak will help us with accumulations. I think the Wednesday morning commute will be a trainwreck again.

I wouldn't say 0.5" of ice is 'crippling' in upstate NY. Closer to 1", sure. In my experience, large branches and trees don't really start coming down until greater than 0.5", but sure you can have some limbs down and isolated power outages with less than that. In any case, I can't imagine too many places seeing 0.25" freezing rain accretion with this set-up, let alone 0.5".

Actually sat in on a seminar with NWSFO Albany quite a few years ago and its actually closer to 2" of ice that is bad. 1/2"-1" is bad IF ice accretion is accompanied by strong winds. 

Actually sat in on a seminar with NWSFO Albany quite a few years ago and its actually closer to 2" of ice that is bad. 1/2"-1" is bad IF ice accretion is accompanied by strong winds.

That's rubbish. All hell breaks lose by 1". I've seen storms with even less than that cause signicant issues.

That said, this is a tough thing to quantify as there are many variables such as tree type, wind, amount of time since last ice event, time of year, Etc. But my god, to say that 1 inch isn't that bad unless there are strong winds is just crazy.

So to recap a few forecast calls...

The NWS giving weenies hope since 2014... ed0175ba863c89b698fc6e73581f74d8.jpg

Arron seems a bit unsure about his numbers... 5f0f1bc181d7535f0cf8ce8127728796.jpg

Todd looks stoked about his map!

5e996e0ee7519117de9d6ec9002e8ebe.jpg

And Kevin didn't want to be seen on screen with his forecast.

881aac532afb22a728db1998c40cb0ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he's trying to figure out what the freak he's thinking with all those contours.  Maybe he's really going out on a limb predicting accumulations down to the tenth of an inch...

I think he's trying to figure out what the freak he's thinking with all those contours. Maybe he's really going out on a limb predicting accumulations down to the tenth of an inch...

Lol, went to school Aaron...and Brandolino as well. We had a lot of fun...

That's rubbish. All hell breaks lose by 1". I've seen storms with even less than that cause signicant issues.

That said, this is a tough thing to quantify as there are many variables such as tree type, wind, amount of time since last ice event, time of year, Etc. But my god, to say that 1 inch isn't that bad unless there are strong winds is just crazy.

Well that's what the research showed. Just saying. 

No ice to be seen on what is usually the most covered the lake gets. Reminds me of 2012. The good thing about no ice it means the cool lake breeze that persists until late April due to the ice on the lake will not be present. It will allow us to get some nice temps earlier than usual.

Looks like my "theory" about little or no ice cover translating to severely below average snowfall will hold up this year.  I posted some stats on this a year or 2 ago.  You usually start to hear talk by mid January when the lake isn't iced up that we'll be hit hard by lake effect.  But the patterns that lock in to keep the lake ice free are hostile to lake effect.  I think the stats show that the highest snow years in BUF occur when the lake freezes either on time or earlier than normal.  

Looks like my "theory" about little or no ice cover translating to severely below average snowfall will hold up this year.  I posted some stats on this a year or 2 ago.  You usually start to hear talk by mid January when the lake isn't iced up that we'll be hit hard by lake effect.  But the patterns that lock in to keep the lake ice free are hostile to lake effect.  I think the stats show that the highest snow years in BUF occur when the lake freezes either on time or earlier than normal.  

Well yeah, when the lake freezes up it means there was an extensive period of colder than 32 deg weather...Which more often than not leads to a greater chance of synoptic snow/LES. This year there was literally no cold, due to El Nino. There was a 2 week period in early Jan, and a week in Feb? That was about it for cold/snow. Years in which lake Erie completely freezes (69%) are years with above average snowfall due to the sheer higher probability of receiving precipitations in the form of snow. The longer it stays cold, the greater opportunity there is to receive a higher yearly snowfall total. With the lake open in Feb, we could have received an epic dumping like 2007, instead we were warm as usual due to El Nino.

Basically it boils down to this, "any winter in which temperatures are average/below average for the majority of winter (Late Nov-March) will almost certainly also be above normal in the snowfall department."

Basically it boils down to this, "any winter in which temperatures are average/below average for the majority of winter (Late Nov-March) will almost certainly also be above normal in the snowfall department."

Yep, pretty much as simple as that.  Those temps next week look crazy!  Was surprised to see that - been trakcing this upcoming storm  the last few days and never made it past day 5 on the models...

Archived