• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a regular lurker every winter but rarely have anything worthwhile to post since you are all well beyond my understanding of meteorology.

What is the protocol for measuring snowfall in one of these mixing events? Somebody may get, say, 6 inches followed by rain that beats it down, then snow again at the end. Or of course it could switch back and forth several times. How is that officially measured and recorded? As someone who uses the snow, all I care about is snow on the ground at the end. Could a particular location officially record 6" of snowfall but have brown grass at the end of the event?

I am a regular lurker every winter but rarely have anything worthwhile to post since you are all well beyond my understanding of meteorology.

What is the protocol for measuring snowfall in one of these mixing events? Somebody may get, say, 6 inches followed by rain that beats it down, then snow again at the end. Or of course it could switch back and forth several times. How is that officially measured and recorded? As someone who uses the snow, all I care about is snow on the ground at the end. Could a particular location officially record 6" of snowfall but have brown grass at the end of the event?

I think NWS or CoCoRAHS has training material on snowfall measuring that address this issue. I should perobably review these before this storm...Going from memory...you basically record the max snow fall reached before transition (if you are available to do so). If it swaps back to snow you would also record the next period's max snow fall and add them up for an "official" snow total report. I think the 6 hour rule also applies as far as frequency of measurement.

Great discussions in here on the upcoming storm!  If nothing else, this should be an interesting storm to watch unfold just considering the uncommon track it's expected to take.  One thing I'll be watching for tomorrow in BUF is how much of an affect downsloping has on the precip rates. In my experience here, storms that pass us to the south/east produce very little accumulation until we get in the wraparound precip shield, often accompanied by enhanchment off L. Ontario.  The end result is storms forecast to produce 8-12" typically end up in the 5-7" range.  Not sure if and to what extent that will be an issue with this storm track though...

Archived