joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 2/5 Coastal Storm Obs/Discussion Thread

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy snow here as well right now, 1/2" on the driveway I just cleared 20 minutes ago. 6.25" now on the deck.

Per the Doppler radar estimates it looks like the area just south of you near WSO Upton picked up more than 0.25" L.E. over the last hour..so the quick catching up you did makes sense.

Yup no snow at all in southern manhattan. Just took this pic.

These things are typical in a marginal temperature effect during a snow storm.   The day before was quite mild with surface streets and sidewalks, road traffic, pretreated roads, mesoscale banding, snow intensity, snow cut-off. being factors..but when all is said and done NWS got it right with a general 2-4 for Central Park, NY -their initial forecast before any tweaking.  Awaiting their official numbers later.  Happy for you peoples.

:)

As of 8:30 am it's down to 31F and we have 3.25" of new snow (we still had a few inches on most of my fairly shady property).  Just had a band that ripped heavy snow for awhile, but it has lightened up.  If that last band to my SW makes it up here, we could make it to 4", but not sure if it will, since the last one fell apart somewhat.  Still, a nice little snowstorm and quite a surprise given where we all were on Wednesday night (maybe a coating was the forecast for most).  

As of 10:15 am, we have 4.0" in Metuchen at 31F and it's snowing lightly, with the back edge at our doorstep (right along the Turnpike, which I live W of by about 1 mile), so I think that'll be the final measurement.  Very nice storm and great forecast by the NWS (I was in their 3-4" swath on the graphic, although the WWA said 1-3", which I never quite understood), DT, and many others.  Definitely less to the N/W and more to the S/E, as predicted.  And I just made a snowman, which is always fun.  

Now at 27" for the season, which is right around climo for the whole season, which is pretty amazing given that this will end up being one of our warmest winters on record (DJF), if not the warmest.  On to Monday/Tuesday.  

I'm in North Syosset and have about 8.5"!!

Very heavy snow Port Jefferson 10:35 AM...2 inches last hour...8 on the day...visibility less than 1/8 of a mile...temp 32 F.

All the NYC stations are west of this heavy band that goes from eastern Queens to LI.

NYC stations will report 2"-4". Eastern Queens is 3"-5". Nassau is 6"-12".

Not bad Ag3, for a storm that sort of came out of no where just 24-36 hours before and as you point out a sharp gradient from east to west.

Archived